Arena Capital Advisors, LLC, a Los Angeles-based asset manager that manages over $3.5b in client assets across high yield, leveraged loans, special purpose acquisition companies and private investment in public equities and opportunistic strategies, is seeking an Investment Associate. This position would support several Portfolio Managers in critical role, ranging from regular and ad hoc positioning analysis, investment universe surveillance, reporting support, and idea generation screens, among others. This role has the potential to evolve depending on how well the individual performs and ability to handle workload. One potential is for the individual to evolve into a Credit Research Analyst role.
Under the direction of the firm’s Chief Investment Officer, the role analyzes various industries and the companies within them to make investment recommendations to Arena Capital’s portfolio management group. The role also provides analytical support to the firm's portfolio managers by highlighting risks and identifying potential opportunities to evaluate.
- Provide regular, ad hoc analysis of positioning across the firm’s client accounts, including by Investment, by Issuer, and accounts across strategies.
- Liaison between Portfolio Management team and Investment Operations, including any necessary trade and/or position monitoring support
- Ability to contribute first-hand to portfolio management analysis and be adept in both credit and non-credit areas such as SPACs/PIPEs
- Proactively communicate with team members in regular and ad hoc group meetings.
- Assist Portfolio Manager(s) is responding to marketing/client service requests
- Continually look for ways to streamline/upgrade process via technology
- Excellent quantitative skills including in math, statistics, corporate finance, and economics.
- Strong computer skills (exceptional Excel expertise at a minimum but either understanding or ability to quickly learn how to database programming languages can be used with MS Excel, MS Access, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree from a prestigious university or college with demonstrated strong academic performance and relevant coursework
- Being a self-starter is a requirement, with ability and drive to continually and proactively look for different ways to add value to support the Portfolio Managers, sometimes with minimal direction and guidance
- Proactive in generating successful investment ideas. Ability to take the lead in advocating investment ideas to portfolio managers rather than relying on external direction.
- Strong communications skills, with ability to interact with other team members, both on regular basis and or an ad hoc basis.
- Values seeing one's investment ideas added to investment portfolios and enjoys investment management as a long-term career.
- While not required as prerequisite, success in this role depends on ability to analyze risk vs. potential reward, including relative value across opportunities, idiosyncratic credit analysis, and potentially across asset classes.
- Strong preference for familiarity with major programming language to use with database analysis
- Prior experience in financial services, such as an investment banking analyst, a plus
Please submit resume/CV and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org