Assistant Vice President, Product Management
Assistant Vice President, Product Management Los Angeles/en-US/Oaktree/job/Los-Angeles/Assistant-Vice-President_2019-3/apply
The Product Management department is responsible for (i) serving as representatives/spokespeople for Oaktrees strategies and products to explain strategy positioning and investment theses; (ii) creating, refining and managing content that effectively conveys our strategies investment approach, capabilities and portfolio activity; (iii) responding to investor requests for information about their prospective and current investments with us (including leadership in understanding areas where material needs to be stronger or where there are gaps); (iv) managing and/or delivering portfolio reviews; and (v) delivering marketing programming initiatives that serve to raise awareness about Oaktrees offerings and broad platform capabilities.
This Product Management professional will be aligned specifically to Oaktrees Distressed Debt Product Management vertical. He/she will focus primarily on Distressed Debt product management activities in a second-in-command capacity behind the firms senior product specialist for the strategy. He/she will also have the opportunity to work with the rest of the firms LA-based product specialists across credit and private equity strategies on activities including, but not limited to, new business proposals, fundraising and product development initiatives, marketing communications projects, and the like. Selected responsibilities include:
Product Marketing (Fundraising) and Communications (Servicing)
- Develop internal subject matter expertise regarding our strategies approach, philosophy, markets, primary competitors, legacy and active funds, individual investments, cash-flow expectations, performance reporting standards, etc.
- Engage with external clients to respond to product-related inquiries and to help explain strategy positioning, market activity and material portfolio events as needed throughout the sales and service lifecycle in an effort to retain and grow client assets.
- Support Product Specialists in the creation and maintenance of certain product/strategy content including but not limited to pitch books and presentations, investment write ups, case studies, due diligence content (e.g., RFP responses), quarterly commentary, investor letters, thought leadership (Insights) pieces, strategy communications
- Learn/master compliance and related industry rules to ensure the creation of compliant content (may include creating supporting documentation in partnership with other Oaktree departments including, for example, the firms Portfolio Analysis Risk & Reporting (PARR) department)
- Learn/master financial reporting metrics and concepts to be able to sense-test financial reporting prepared by other units (Accounting and PARR) prior to utilizing in marketing or service content owned by the Product Specialist
- Assist Product Specialists with offshoring certain collateral (via creation of procedures and ad-hoc training), where appropriate
- Assist with new product creation and onboarding
- Support fundraising initiatives by delivering the above and also by assisting the firms Distressed Debt Product Specialist in (i) driving follow-up with our Marketing team where relevant and appropriate; (ii) understanding/gathering intel concerning the market reaction to our product set and refining messaging and strategy content in response; (iii) helping to identify new product offerings or structures that may help the strategy improve traction with LPs seeking specific solutions; support and/or conduct Marketing Rep education at the outset of a fundraising campaign, etc.
Investor Needs Management
- Respond to or provide information on product-specific investor inquiries and requests
- Receive investor requests (either received from Product Specialists, Client Services Reps, Marketing Reps or directly from investors)
- Evaluate requests against established disclosure rules and consult Product Specialists as appropriate
- Quarterback evaluated investor requests through resolution
- Understand the strategys product(s), market and operational structure to be able to draft responses to investor inquiries where appropriate
- Where information is not readily available, coordinate with the appropriate internal resources to respond to investor requests
- Serve as a member of the Oaktree client team by developing rapport with client-facing staff and clients directly in an effort to understand and support investor needs and strengthen relationships in turn
- Collaborate with other product specialists as well as other Oaktree departments to identify and drive improvements to standard content in an effort to support the streamlining of client reporting while ensuring consistency in the client experience across strategy lines
Investor Meeting Management
- Assist with and/or manage product-related investor meetings together with the Client Services and Marketing teams
- Help prepare thoughtful agendas, materials, briefing packets, etc. as necessary
Bachelors degree (major in Finance, Business, Marketing, Communications or related field preferred); MBA a plus
Three to five years of relevant experience
- Solid foundation in investment finance concepts; public and private credit markets a plus;
- Ability to acquire thorough knowledge of legal, accounting, compliance and investment aspects of the investment products offered by Oaktree;
- Highly resourceful; ability to exercise superior judgment regarding investor requests: to interpret them, ask appropriate questions, do homework, and only expend internal resources of the firm for the most relevant, needed situations;
- Ability to interact directly with clients, portfolio managers and senior leadership;
- Experience in institutional investor asset management; client-facing experience a plus;
- Excellent PowerPoint skills for creating client-facing and internal presentations;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal; and
- FINRA licenses (Series 7 and 63) or ability to acquire licenses in a compressed timeframe.
The successful candidate should:
- Be highly motivated to succeed and to foster the success of his/her teammates;
- Demonstrate the poise, confidence and professionalism to establish relationships, garner support and engage team members to ensure successful completion of projects;
- Be a self-starter who originates ideas, and identifies and captures opportunities;
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) must show aptitude for explaining technical concepts clearly and simply to clients;
- Possess outstanding attention to detail and superior organizational skills;
- Have strong integrity, professionalism and dedication to excellence;
- Excel in a demanding, fast-paced environment while maintaining the highest quality standards;
- Be a natural problem solver who can independently identify and recommend improvements to enhance productivity and efficiency.
Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Oaktree is committed to diversity and to equal opportunity employment. Oaktree does not make employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, past or present physical or mental disability, HIV status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, veteran status, military service, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic violence victim status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. This policy applies to hiring, placement, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, recruitment advertising, transfers, demotions, layoffs, terminations, recruitment advertising, rates of pay and other forms of compensation and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
This policy applies to all Oaktree applicants, employees, clients, and contractors.
Posted 30+ Days AgoFull time2019-3
At Oaktree, we focus on hiring individuals with intelligence, dedication, team spirit, integrity and a strong work ethic. We welcome the opportunity to speak with talented professionals who have relevant credentials and experience in investments, marketing and client relations, accounting, legal, compliance, information technology, administrative support and other relevant areas.