Director, Real Estate,Investments
Director Real Estate Investments Newport Beach,CA (RE) 006/en-US/CORPORATE-CAREERS/job/Newport-BeachCA-RE-006/Director-Real-Estate-Investments_JR-17184-1/apply At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference. This position is located in Newport Beach, California, and requires travel throughout southern California. Who We Are : The Real Estate Investments Department within Northwestern Mutual Investment Management Company, LLC, manages the commercial mortgage and real estate equity investments of Northwestern Mutual. The portfolio includes $40 billion of commercial mortgages secured by multifamily, office, retail, manufactured housing, and industrial properties, and more than $12 billion of direct and joint venture commercial real estate equity investments. Additional information can be found on our website (https://realestate.northwesternmutual.com/). What's the role? Commercial mortgage loan and real estate equity originations Are you a Real Estate professional with 3 to 5 years of experience ready to roll up your sleeves and identify, underwrite, recommend, and work with a team to close mortgage loan and real estate equity investments, as directed by their local Regional Director and senior management within the Real Estate Department and Northwestern Mutual? They will also be responsible for servicing and managing a portion of the mortgage loan portfolio. The performance of responsibilities is with limited oversight, growing to increasingly independent performance. Primary duties include (with appropriate supervision and training):
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Develop and manage relationships with existing and prospective borrowers and partners, as well as the brokerage community, to generate investment opportunities that lead to transactions.
- Conduct robust real estate investment analysis, including identifying properties that fit our investment criteria, determining property values, and understanding the physical, operational, and financial nature of successful real estate investments.
- Formulate and communicate high conviction investment ideas and influence portfolio manager investment decisions based on analysis.
- Draft and negotiate letters of interest, memorandums of understanding, and loan applications related to investments as they are originated.
- Effectively and timely coordinate with various stakeholders to originate new investments, including brokers, management companies, advisors, legal, closing, environmental, and construction experts.
- Consistently prepare high quality and accurate work product, including written and verbal opinions and analyses.
- Be a team player and work collaboratively to contribute to the Newport Beach office and Real Estate Investments Department goals.
- MBA or master’s degree with a concentration in real estate or finance is required.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in the following real estate areas: the underwriting, appraisal and valuation process; the due diligence, closing and documentation process; and direct and/or supervised experience with the origination and negotiation of mortgage loan and/or real estate equity investments.
- Direct or supervised experience with relationship building and networking of prospective and existing clients.
- Experience that demonstrates an understanding of real estate and capital markets that leads to investable opportunities.
- Strong analytical, quantitative, negotiation, and critical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with local co-worker teams, remote Home Office teams and with third party clients.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- High ethical and professional standards.
- Proficiency with Argus and Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and Power Point required.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Required Certifications: Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Posted TodayFull timeJR-17184
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual. What started in Milwaukee, WI has grown into 7,000+ home office professionals split across 3 campuses: New York City, Franklin and downtown Milwaukee (HQ) - each one bringing with it its own unique talent and culture. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual as we are growing our digital and tech capabilities and are always on the lookout for bright, tech-savvy candidates.
Northwestern Mutual is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We have chosen to build a diverse and inclusive workplace where talented people from all backgrounds want to be, want to stay, and want to build their future. We celebrate and support our differences for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.