- From £40,000
- Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- LGPS Central Ltd
- 21 Feb 18 2018-02-21
Role Purpose LGPS Central Limited has been established to consolidate and manage the pension fund assets of nine Midlands-based public funds. This is an exciting initiative as it involves the use of innovative fund structures, a full range of asset classes from passive and active equity to property and infrastructure and is transformative in its mission to reduce the cost of investment for its clients. Assets will commence transitioning in April 2018 and when complete, LGPS Central will be managing £40bn.
As a key member of the Finance team, the Tax Accountant will be responsible for supporting the Head of Finance in ensuring effective and efficient compliance with all taxation requirements concerning LGPS Central and the funds under its management, and providing tax advice and strategic planning.
The position reports to the Head of Finance.
• To play a lead role in ensuring that the company complies with all taxation requirements concerning LGPS Central and the investments assets under its management, including Value-Added Tax, Corporation Tax, employment taxes, with-holding and transaction taxes.
• To prepare and submit tax returns as required by relevant authorities.
• To support the Head of Finance in procuring LGPS Central’s tax advisor and to play a lead role in the day-to-day management of the tax advisor relationship.
• To liaise with LGPS Central’s appointed custodian on taxation matters relating to the investment assets under the company’s management.
• To liaise with HMRC and other taxation bodies as appropriate.
• To liaise with LGPS Central’s payroll provider on employment tax matters.
• To provide advice to the Head of Finance and other managers on strategic tax planning matters, including on the development of new investment products.
• To maintain appropriate tax records for the company.
• To contribute to the annual budgeting and financial planning process through the provision of timely and accurate advice concerning the anticipated tax position.
• To contribute to the development of a range of policies for approval by the Board:
- Financial Policies and Procedures
- Accounting Policies
- Tax Strategy
• To assist in the liaison with external and internal audit.
• To use the company’s computerised accounting system, including the implementation and operation of effective controls and reconciliations concerning tax matters, and training and supervising junior staff in compliance with those controls.
• To assist the Head of Finance in identifying financial risks (particularly those relating to tax) and take steps to manage and mitigate these, reporting as appropriate.
• To play a lead role in the maintenance of the tax risk register.
• To make a significant contribution to the work of the Finance team and the wider company.
• To assist the Head of Finance in ensuring that the skills and knowledge of the Finance team are developed to a high level, and to be an advocate of continuous professional development.
• To promote the work of the Finance team within the company, including the delivery of financial training and financial advice and support to managers.
• To actively identify opportunities for continuous improvement within the Finance team and implement them swiftly and effectively.
• To participate in cross-organisational groups, and build effective working relationships with peers in other organisations.
• To support the Head of Finance in the management of the Finance team, and to deputise for the Head of Finance as required.
Skills & Abilities
• Able to communicate complex and highly-technical matters in a way which is understandable and relevant.
• Strong reasoning and problem-solving skills, able to develop pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
• Good report-writing and verbal communication skills.
• Active participant in continuous professional development, with an up-to-date knowledge of relevant accounting, finance, investments and pensions matters.
• Able to motivate and inspire junior members of the Finance team to develop themselves and perform to a high level.
• Able to build effective relationships at all levels of the company.
• Highly organised and able to work to deadlines and manage competing priorities under significant time pressures.
• Good interpersonal, communication and people management skills.
Personal Attributes and other Requirements
• Experience of working in a tax accounting role.
• High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas, and an analytical thinker with high standards of professional judgement and objectivity.
• Able to provide effective team leadership in conjunction with the Head of Finance and to promote the role of the Finance team within the company.
• Able to understand the overarching aims and objectives of the company, and how the work of the Finance team contributes to these.
• Innovative and actively challenges existing ways of working, driving improvements within the Finance team, promoting a culture of continuous improvement.
• Qualified CCAB/CIMA Accountant; or
• Part-qualified CCAB/CIMA Accountant with strong relevant experience.
~~If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV with a covering letter, demonstrating why you have the skills to perform this role, to email@example.com
If you would like to find out more about the role, please contact David Kane, Head of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 23rd February 2018
Interviews scheduled to take place: w/c 5th March 2018