LGPS Central Limited (LGPS Central) is an FCA regulated fund management company, owned by and managing the pooled assets of eight Midlands-based local government pension funds. Since its launch in April 2018, LGPS Central has become responsible for around half of our Partner Funds’ £45bn of assets. The volume of assets under management is expected to grow rapidly over the next few years, particularly in the private markets area, as new pooled funds are developed and launched. A range of fund launches is planned for this financial year across numerous asset classes.
The aim of LGPS Centralis to use the combined buying power of its Partner Funds to reduce costs, improve investment returns and widen the range of available asset classes for investment. We are committed to fully integrating Responsible Investment and Engagement (RI&E) into all our investment processes and investments. The management of Local Government Pension Scheme funds is going through significant change, providing attractive opportunities for those who have the relevant investment experience and who want to work within a company which values integrity, trust, transparency, diversity, fairness and partnership. LGPS Central aims to be a centre of excellence and we seek candidates who share our values to help us achieve that goal.
We are a diverse and inclusive employer and welcome interest from all sections of the community.
LGPS Central Limited is now seeking to recruit a Responsible Investment Manager (Integration) to be based in the Wolverhampton offices of LGPS Central Limited. The successful candidate will join our RI&E team working predominantly on ESG integration activities as they pertain to LGPS Central.
The role will have a focus on ESG integration in Manager Selection and Monitoring, , alongside responsibility for delivery and future development of LGPS Central’s Climate Risk Monitoring Service, reporting to the Director of Responsible Investment. There will also be an opportunity to get involved in engagement, stakeholder management and ESG research and analysis at corporate, sector and thematic level.
The successful candidate will be expected to represent LGPS Central externally at industry groups and regulatory forum’s and contribute to communications relating to Responsible Investment matters
The role is challenging and rewarding and requires extensive experience of working in Responsible Investment /ESG integration within an asset management business, pension fund or bank or as an Equity Analyst with a strong ESG focus.
The ideal candidate will hold a degree level qualification in a relevant subject and will be IMC qualified, CFA would be an advantage. The role has two direct reports, so management experience is essential. Experience of managing relationships with external providers is also key.
To join our organisation to support the work of the Responsible Investment & Engagement team with a focus on ESG Integration (Manager Selection and Monitoring). The person in the role will report to the Director of Responsible Investment.
This role will be classified as a certified role under the Senior Managers Certification Regime (SMCR) and will be subject to Fitness and Propriety Assessments and any other such requirements as set out by the regulator.
Delegated Authority Levels:
- Director of Responsible Investment & Engagement
- Investment Directors, SPM, PMs /Managers/Staff
- Stakeholders and Clients
Need to do
- Work with the Director of Responsible Investment to integrate ESG into investment processes of all asset classes and investment portfolios.
- Lead LGPSC external manager selection and monitoring as it relates to Responsible Investment matters.
- Line Management Responsibility for two RI Analysts.
- Ensure LGPSC RI Integrated Status is met for all funds at inception and through lifespan of the fund.
- Take responsibility for delivery and future development of the LGPSC Climate Risk Monitoring Service.
- Support the Director of Responsible Investment & Engagement and investment colleagues with the development of new investment products and services to suit evolving client needs.
- Produce high quality company research and thematic ESG related research. Oversee production of research by RI Analysts.
- Maintain day to day responsibility for managing the LGPSC relationships with external ESG providers, monitoring the development and evolution of products and services.
- Respond to client enquiries in accordance with established deadlines.
- Work with RI Analysts on the team to identify candidates for engagement via external manager monitoring and ESG portfolio reviews.
- Take responsibility for leading engagements with agreed investee companies across agreed themes as required and in collaboration with the Head of Stewardship.
- Develop relationships and grow partnerships with external Responsible Investment bodies.
- Oversee LGPSC responses to consultations as directed.
- Monitor the evolution of Responsible Investment and regulatory frameworks pertaining to it.
Need to Know
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject.
- Minimum IMC qualified. CFA an advantage.
- Extensive experience of working in Responsible Investment/ ESG within an asset management business, pension fund or bank or as an equity analyst with a strong ESG focus
- Experience of managing teams.
- Experience of working with investment colleagues on ESG integration.
- Experience in assessing climate-related risks within a fund including carbon risk metrics and climate scenario analysis.
- Record of delivering company, portfolio and thematic ESG analysis to investment colleagues.
- Experience of external manager selection and monitoring in the context of ESG/ Responsible Investment.
- Experience of engaging with corporations on ESG matters.
- Experience of managing relationships with external research providers.
- Knowledge of corporate governance and remuneration is an advantage.
- Knowledge of ESG integration across alternative asset classes or experience of working in alternative assets as an analyst is an advantage.
- Working knowledge of Bloomberg particularly the ESG functions.
- Experience of working across teams with multiple internal stakeholders.
- Experience of managing a diverse workload with competing deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Values and Behaviours
- Achievement drive
- Building relationships
- Continuous improvement
- Stakeholder focus
- Developing self Interpersonal & influencing skills
- Team working
- We are a great place to work
- We are Client Focus ed
- We are Inclusive
- We are Ambitious
- Open, fair and transparent, acting with integrity.
- Doing the right thing.
- Honest and trustworthy
- Empowered in making right decisions
- Collegiate and Collaborative.
- Valuing and treating everyone equally.
- Listening to individual ideas to support growth.
- Constructively challenging the status quo. Accountability for results and delivery
- Friendly, honest and supportive.
LGPS Central Limited provides an exciting, supportive and family-friendly working environment, and we are committed to helping our people achieve their full potential and a healthy work-life balance. We are an inclusive employer and offer equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.