Research Analyst (Economist / FX Strategist)
- Competitive + Bonus + Benefits
- Windsor, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Record Currency Management
- 17 Nov 17 2017-11-17
Market Economist / FX Strategist role, as part of an innovative and rigorous research division. The Economic Research and FX Strategy team is responsible for: (a) providing our clients with fundamental research and analysis to help them navigate turbulent financial markets; (b) generating and enhancing rigorous systematic investment strategies; and (c) guiding discretionary investment decision-making, as an integral part of the investment management process. As part of this team, you will play an important role in shaping and delivering Record’s macro views and investment strategies.
Record Currency Management is an established, independent currency manager, managing approximately $60bn in client currency exposures. Our clients are largely institutions, including pension funds, charities, foundations, endowments, and family offices, as well as corporate clients.
Key Result Areas
• Shape and provide fundamental economic analysis on and insights into developed and emerging market economies, currencies and their return drivers on an ad-hoc and regular basis.
- Develop economic knowledge of assigned economies.
- Prepare macro presentations for clients, in some cases leading team preparation.
- Write, supervise writing, edit, oversee and take responsibility for regular market commentaries for clients.
• Shape and produce analysis to support the research team and the client team, including reactive research requested from departments, clients and investment consultants, and bespoke analysis.
• Lead research projects, to develop and enhance systematic investment strategies across a range of asset classes, especially currency. Assist with other team research projects, where necessary, and contribute to idea generation.
• Develop fundamental insights into the nature of return-seeking strategies in currency markets (including an understanding of the behaviour of market participants) with an aim to enhance Record’s blue-sky research.
• Develop specialisms in certain areas of research.
• Continue to develop familiarity with Record’s research and statistical tools with an aim to developing successful investment strategies. Identify relevant research questions.
• Continue to develop knowledge of Record’s business, markets and clients.
• Represent Record at client meetings to discuss our products and market views.
• Maintain relationships with clients, counterparts at research institutions and the wider external community.
• 1st class degree in Economics (preferably at Masters level or above) from a Russell Group University (or EU equivalent)
• A-level Mathematics or Economics – A grade or above
• Excellent technical and analytical macroeconomics understanding, and passionate about macro/FX investing
• 1-2 years relevant work experience; within research, macroeconomics or investment management; at a bank, fund or central bank
• Strong understanding of financial markets. Preferably made some progress towards attaining the CFA charter
• Strong analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills; and a good grasp of econometrics/statistics to an intermediate level
• Excellent writing skills, excellent communication skills, works well in a team and well presented
• Excellent attention to detail
• Intermediate/advanced MS Excel
Long-term career prospects
The role would suit an ambitious Junior Economist/Strategist/Economic Researcher seeking to take the next step in their career and/or break into the investment management industry. Would suit someone who seeks a thriving long-term career in economic research and investment management.
As a Market Economist / FX Strategist in currency asset management, you will gain a broad and unique skillset:
- Employ a range of models and frameworks to comprehensively analyse macroeconomic/geopolitical trends and developments, and their broad, macro investment implications; as well as to scrutinise the views and analysis of other economists and market participants.
- Build the necessary toolkit to generate, enhance and evaluate systematic investment strategies; while understanding the connections between statistical significance and robustness of underlying economic fundamentals.
- Contribute to discretionary investment decision-making, based on modern portfolio theory, risk-reward, market biases and client preferences.
- Present and discuss Record’s macro views and investment strategies with clients, consultants and the wider investment community.
Due to its broad nature, the role can in the long run lead to senior internal careers including: a) senior economist or senior research director, b) senior investment/portfolio manager, and c) senior client director.