Data Analyst Context for the role:
Our business is under-going significant transformation as we shift from providing a broadly intermediated, product based offering to one that creates market leading, customer led propositions sold through multiple channels with a strong focus on mobile and digital.
As a result the UK&E Insurance business is investing heavily in new technologies and seeking to leverage existing assets to create a market leading retail savings proposition to its advisers, employers and end customers in a safe and operationally efficient way removing control weaknesses and failure. At the heart of this is the outcome and experience we provide our customers & how we manage our business much more efficiently, the role of the analytics and insight team is pivotal in ensuring that we deliver a coherent and consistent proposition that we can continue to evolve, inspire, organise and drive our business to deliver consistently great outcomes for our customers.
As a data analyst you'll play an important role in both the transformation of M&G Prudential as well as its ongoing sustainability. The role holder will be involved in creatively analysing patterns in ever growing quantities of existing and new data, generating incredibly creative methods to provide insight that no ordinary eye could pick up.
The successful candidate should live and breathe data, they'll have a passion for finding meaning amongst complex data structures. They will be responsible for building predictive and prescriptive models to optimise delivery of good customer outcome and drive operational efficiency. Additionally, the role holder will build models to seek out poor customer outcomes, failure in operational processes and sub-optimal customer journeys through which the business can prioritise remediation activity as well as evolve the customer proposition.
The role holder must have a strong knowledge and experience of querying large multi-structured datasets, advanced data mining & advanced analytics technologies/techniques as well as establishing models that enable real time insight delivery. Purpose statements:
- Deliver timely and accurate insight, analytics & measurements in a clear manner that drives immediate action
- Apply advanced analytical techniques on variety of data sources to perform statistical analyses, create predictive and prescriptive models
- Research analytical options, design features, prototype and test algorithms to create solutions that give better understanding of the business performance, identify issues and drive improvements
- Quickly validate hypotheses and gain new insights from data which are valuable for the business
- Ability to understand business issues and opportunities to apply advanced analytics techniques that drive tangible benefits
- Use complex data science techniques to drive tangible and actionable change opportunities benefiting customers & the business
- Deliver timely and accurate reporting in form of dashboards that convey key findings in a simple manner
- Strong knowledge and proven experience on analytics tools, visualisation tools and statistical packages such as SAS, Minitab, SPSS, SSIS, Tableau, Qlikview, SQL, Excel VBA, R & Python
- Strong knowledge of statistical techniques such as Regression/Logistic regression, ARIMA/Forecasting, Segmentation, Decision trees, Linear & Non Linear Programming, Significance Testing, and Hypothesis testing
- Detailed knowledge of database querying (using SQL and ETL tools) and performing statistical analyses on large data sets multi-structured datasets of often sparse data, in a Hadoop/Cloud based environment
- Knowledge and experience of machine Learning techniques (recommendation engines, ensemble models such as random forests, bagging and boosting, support vector machines, dynamic optimization)
- Strong programming skills with at least one object oriented language (e.g. Java) and one scripting language (e.g. R, Python)
- Knowledge of AI platforms (desirable)
- Experience of delivering end-to-end analytics projects/initiatives that have delivered tangible results for the business
- Significant experience in developing insight from complex & varied quantitative and qualitative data sources
- Experience of delivering end-to-end data mining as well as machine learning projects - right from organizing and munging data, prototyping algorithms in scripting languages to deploying a solution in a stable platform like Java.
- Strong experience with querying and handling data using SQL and ETL tools
- Experience in designing and building systems that mine massive datasets and structuring/ engineering it to be usable for machine learning models
- Experiencing of designing data solutions across complex internal and external data sources
- Strong experience of providing iterative solutions & insight, testing and learning quickly
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable providing guidance, expertise and recommendation to senior leadership team
- Exposure to Agile delivery concepts (desirable)
- Passionate about data and driving meaning from it (essential)
- Analytical mind-set (essential)
- Delivery focussed (essential)
- A creative attitude (essential)
- Flexible and fast learning (essential)
- Works in a structured and logical way with a high degree of accuracy (essential)
- Ability to exercise sound judgement when faced with multiple options to solve a problem (essential)
- Good communication skills (essential)
- Team player (essential)