Data Business Analyst
- Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
- Temporary, Full time
- HSBC Bank plc
- 22 Apr 19
Business/ Data Analyst- Contract- Sheffield
We require an accomplished Data Analyst to provide best in class data analysis skills as part of our Group Risk Analytics (GRA) team. The GRA function provides services for the building, deployment, execution and management of the bank's risk models. One such service is Group Credit Loss Data Systems (GCLDS) which is a data store where banks record pre and post customer default information about wholesale and market customers that have defaulted. This information is critical for regulatory capital model development, monitoring and validation.
The data submitted may contain a number of Data Quality (DQ) issues which could result in the data not being correct when used in the models. As part of the GCLDS service, DQ issues are reported to the various sites and the central GRA team. To enhance the data there is a requirement to understand why the DQ issues are being reported therefore this role will involve understanding what the issues are and investigate the data in the relational database by writing and running a number of SQL queries and reporting findings back to our stakeholders.
You'll be a pro-active and highly analytical character who is comfortable in "the weeds" often displaying 'outside the box' thinking as well as demonstrate a high degree of attention to detail and Subject Matter Expertise in DB2/Oracle database models, creating and running SQL queries and basis UNIX commands
- Undertake investigations of the data in the Group Credit Loss Data System (GCLDS) database by preforming SQL queries to analyse the data for them to understand why Data Quality (DQ) issues are being reported
- Interface with the business in London and GCLDS sites in various other countries working with data owners
- Interpret data, write and run SQL queries and understand the output
- Communicate findings clearly and concisely to relevant stakeholder with findings as to why DQ's are being reported
- Ensure that problems are managed and escalated efficiently with the minimum disruption to the business
- Report progress and problems to management/stakeholders
- React to unscheduled changes to requirements, through re-prioritisation and modification to plans with the appropriate level of communication
- Ensure all work is completed within agreed timelines
- Understand and manage risks and impacts
- Provide status reports and avoid surprises
- Attend working groups involving with key stakeholders
- Work closely with analysts, developers and testers within GRA and across other interrelated teams
Experience and Qualifications
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven working experience as an experienced data analyst, banking experience essential
- Strong commercial technical expertise with DB2/Oracle database models, creating and running SQL queries and basis UNIX commands
- Good presentation skills and capable of summarising findings to stakeholders at all levels
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organise, analyse and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Team player with the ability to form strong working relationships across functions at all levels
- Capable, pragmatic and ability to negotiate sensible outcomes
- Ability to understand and interpret complex concepts
- Ability to prioritise competing demandHSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment.
The base location for this role is our South Yorkshire site based in Sheffield, Yorkshire.