Senior Actuarial Trainee - Bulk team
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
This role would be to join the actuarial student scheme at Canada Life. The scheme is designed to provide a breadth of experience to those studying towards Fellowship of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (or equivalent) through rotations to different areas of the business.
The first rotation for this role will be within the Bulk Annuity team, based primarily in Potters Bar, north of London, to support the analysis of Bulk Annuity. Rotations usually last 18 to 24 months, and subsequent roles would likely to be based in an actuarial team-e.g. pricing or valuation.
This position is not intended for internal employees already on the student rotation scheme.
- Assisting in the quotations for bulk annuity buy-ins and buy-outs
- Responsibility for the benefit modelling of schemes and accurate & complete data manipulation.
- Development and maintenance of bulk annuity pricing models in accordance with the Technical Actuarial Standards (where relevant) and End User Computing
- Contributing to the continuing development of pricing development to help the production of pricing reports in accordance with Canada Life's standards and policies
- Provide appropriate support to managers and others to implement recommendations/facilitate change to support the requirements of the business
- Support the reinsurance of the bulk annuity schemes and data verification processes.
• Ensure familiarity with risk management programs, as they impact this role, and follow appropriate risk management procedures to control, monitor and report on business activities
• Ensure compliance with Company policies, regulatory, professional & legal requirements
• Actively study for the qualification as a FIA (or equivalent)
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
• Student actuary who has already worked within an actuarial department
• Good knowledge of MS Excel and MS Access
• Able to draw conclusions and make recommendations
• Strong communication skills
• Able to build relationships with people at all levels
• Understanding and ability to implement/maintain an actuarial control framework and meet governance requirements
• Ideally a demonstrable interest to work in the field of Bulk Annuity What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences