Privacy and Data Protection Senior Analyst
Job closing date: Wednesday 24th November 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers. Job Summary
Provide assistance to the Data Protection Officer (DPO) and Deputy Data Protection Officer in mitigating the occurrence of data protection/privacy breaches and maintaining company compliance with data protection/privacy regulations and guidance.
Assisting with the implementation of the Privacy & Data Protection framework and oversight of the ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to the Company's policies and procedures covering the privacy and protection of data. Working under the overall direction of the Head of Privacy and Data Protection, and as a member of the Compliance Technical team, provides cover and support, where necessary, for others in the wider Compliance Department.
The post holder will need to lead on strategic projects that are of a business critical nature. Keeping up to date with legislation to ensure we are mitigating any risk in relation to our data protection policies and practices is essential and their areas of expertise in regulatory systems and governance frameworks will be of high value and a necessity in this role. What you'll do
• Assist the DPO and Head of Data Protection & Privacy to create and lead the strategic direction of the privacy and data protection framework. Providing Data Protection legal expertise to develop and deliver compliance with UK Data Protection law and regulation, ensuring that the Head of Privacy and Data Protection in his/her capacity of Deputy Data Protection Officer (DPO) is fully informed of data protection/privacy related matters and any data breach incidents. Support the Head of Data Protection & Privacy in overseeing the application of the data protection policies and related standards; providing annual attestation and recommendations to amend and communicate the policy to audiences of different seniority, including the Chief Risk Officer and Chief Counsel.
• Provide prompt, accurate and up-to-date advice to projects, initiatives and BAU. Assist with and validate the data protection impact assessments to ensure key risks are identified and appropriate recommendations to mitigate the risks are provided. This will often be working with cross functional teams such as the Legal function to ensure effective collaboration and cross functional working on business critical projects and pieces of work.
• Assist with the production and submission of privacy related reports to relevant committees, providing insightful management information that identifies trends and forthcoming risks relating to privacy, data protection and record retention. Support the Head of Privacy & Data Protection in representing the UK in enterprise-wide privacy compliance matters providing input to enable the consistent application and development of Global policies and practices.
• Support the Head of Data Protection & Privacy to ensure a coordinated approach to privacy and collaborate on information security oversight including use of shared corporate policies, standards, and practices
• Contribute to the scoping and design of testing of compliance monitoring activities including input into Compliance Assessments. Supporting the Data Specialists in achieving consistent application of the DP Standards.
• Assist with developing and coordinating the relationship with the Information Commissioner's Office, the Prudential Regulation Authority "PRA" and the Financial Conduct Authority "FCA". The role holder will also need to decide the approach and strategy in dispute resolution cases and customer complaints, always treating customers fairly and ensuring we are reporting to the regulator in relation to any complaints.
• Adopting a leading role within the team in the development and delivery of company-wide and in-team training programmes to further embed privacy compliance into everyday business processes, including training and communication. Acting in this capacity will require role modelling our values at all times, acting with integrity and representing the function with pride and passion. Skills/Experience Required
• Accurate and timely interpretation of legal and regulatory matters. Extensive knowledge of current and forthcoming regulatory requirements in relation to Data Protection (including the FCA Handbook and ICO Guidance). Experience in managing communication and the relationship with regulators including the Information Commissioner's Office and Financial Conduct Authority.
• Thorough understanding of the data protection and privacy environment including the legal and regulatory regime in the UK and a proven track record in data protection oversight.
• A deep and broad understanding of different data protection governance models and controls, with particular reference to the financial sector, with a sound understanding of how to interpret and implement these models and controls.
• Able to interpret the intended outcomes of regulatory rules, principles and guidance.
• Excellent analytical and report writing/drafting skills in order that they are able to explain complexities in a straightforward and accurate way to audiences of differing levels of understanding.
• Excellent communication, influencing and negotiation skills What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences