Job Title: Cloud & Security Architect
Location: Potters Bar
Type: 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
What we're building
We now need a Senior Cloud and Security Architect to support the transformation and the future growth of the business within the IT function, so it can simplify our IT architecture by removing our legacy systems and investing in modernised, lower-cost technology systems, and deliver a digital platform that provides a single view of our customers.
A Cloud and Security architect undertakes complex work of a high-risk level, responsible for designing and delivering UK solutions and requirements for several projects concurrently as well as BAU solutions.
Cloud and Security Architects:
Interact with senior stakeholders across departments and will reach and influence a wide range of people across larger teams and communities
Research and apply innovative Cloud and Security architecture solutions to new or existing problems
Work out subtle Cloud and Security needs and will understand the impact of decisions, balancing requirements and deciding between approaches
Produce particular patterns and support quality assurance, and is the point of escalation for architects below them
Are responsible for leading the technical design of systems and services, and are able to justify and communicate these design decisions
What you'll do
Consultant on the feasibility and probable technology directions for future Cloud and Security initiatives across the UK: Works with Business Analysts, Architects, Senior IT and Business Managers to gain an understanding of information technology needs. This involves understanding the business’s strategy and existing solutions and proposing solutions to meet that strategy.
• Draws on expertise from specialists such as Subject matter expertise within the development teams, Technology Domain architects, project delivery resources, external consultants evaluate data and makes technology decisions.
• Identifies opportunities to enable business change through the application of technology
• Assesses the architectural impact and implications, of business or technology changes that are being contemplated
• Supports the annual budget process by estimating technology and project delivery costs and resource effort.
Leads the definition of Information Technology Strategies and solutions, in order create and implement technical solutions that meet business needs.
• Achieves project objectives within the framework of the business strategies.
• Creates the vision that guides the creation of the solution from inception through delivery
• Plans, walks-through, and leads work packages as appropriate to the initiative.
• Provides leadership in the development of the physical components of the application model.
• Is responsible for the technical model.
• Ensures that all aspects of the solution (architecture deliverable) aligns to technology roadmaps before being presented to CLUK TDA.
• Decides on assessment of new technology coming into the company through.
Ensures quality designs and implementations, in order to ensure that designs meet operational requirements and quality standards.
• Works with Business Analysts and other project resources to ensure that physical designs are consistent with logical designs and requirements
• Works with project team members to ensure implemented systems are consistent with physical designs
• Ensures that operational requirements, based on the engineering of systems considerations (reliability, availability, adaptability, manageability, maintainability, performance and Cloud and Security), are met to the extent required by the current and projected business need
• Ensures system usability is considered, both from a human factors point of view and as it impacts systems engineering
• Fine tunes models and designs to account for technical realities that are revealed during implementation
• Leads and/or participates in design and code walkthroughs
• Supports the transition to production
• Works with test team to ensure that the engineered characteristics of systems are validated
What you'll do - Continued
Provides leadership within the Business Change and IT Division. To ensure IT processes meet best practices and standards.
• Champions the use of IT processes, best practices and standards
• Where needed, identifies and supports the correction or enhancement of existing IT processes, best practices or standards
• Seeks out and promotes opportunities for creating new I.S. processes, best practices or standards
• Provides support and direction for other Architects
• Contributes to the development and selection of systems architecture tools, techniques, and standards used across the CLUK Architecture practice
• Actively engages in maintaining and developing architectural practices within the delivery organisation
Responsible for delivering technology solutions that are aligned across Canada Life UK and technology dependencies between projects are understood.
• Partners with delivery teams and project sponsors to ensure projects delivered to the agreed quality.
• Provides input to the creation of the project management deliverables across the business domain, including project charter, risk assessment, project schedule, and work breakdown statement
• Provides mentorship and coaching to other architects
• Provides direction to project team members and practitioner architects across the Business Domain.
• Shares overall responsibility for all aspects of all project’s activities and deliverables
• Represents the technologies to others, including sponsors, business partners, support groups and peers.
• Supports overall planning for the Business Domain as part of the account leadership team
• Works with procurement and vendors to co-ordinate the selection and implementation of products, if applicable
Defines project architectures to give direction to the design of the solution, and the choice and implementation of systems.
• Reviews project architectures for projects delivering within their business area and champions the Architecture being presented at CLUK TDA or any other governing body
• Ensures architectural compliance to development, Cloud and Security or Infrastructure standards across their Business Area
• Either adheres to portfolio, local site, and enterprise architectures or proposes and obtains variances from these architectures as required
• Works with the Procurement function and suppliers to obtain services, and co-ordinate and monitor their delivery
• Works with the CLUK Architecture Practices to provide input into Business or enterprise architecture
• Defines and maintains Solution architecture and Roadmap for the business area
• Reviews project architecture proposals, Champions their submission to CLUK TDA
• Prepares and supports architectural variance requests through the Canada Life UK Architectural Board and the ISO Exception process. Works with the support team to maintain the exceptions for their business area.
Who you are
• Understands Cloud and Security concepts deeply enough to engage with Cloud and Security technologists and communicate in a language that is appropriate to audience. Able to respond to challenge.
• Able to design secure system architectures through the application of patterns and principles, to meet user needs whilst managing risks. Able to identify Cloud and Security issues in system architectures.
• Capable of making and guiding effective decisions on risk, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached. Able to make decisions proportionate to the level of technical complexity and risk.
• Understands and can apply a range of user research methods correctly. Able to choose appropriate methods for different life cycle phases and situations.
• Knowledge of system architectures. Able to understand the risk impact of vulnerabilities on existing and future designs and systems, and identify how easy or difficult it will be to exploit these vulnerabilities.
• Has demonstrable experience of architecting and implementing cloud solutions on Azure, AWS or Google acting in a technical lead role. You may have one or more professional certifications from one or more of these leading cloud providers.
• Has knowledge and experience of modern architectures (containers / micro services) and the tool-chains required to effectively deploy and manage cloud services at scale.
• Knowledge to develop cloud governance policies and frameworks including account structures and Cloud and Security best practices.
What you’ll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You’ll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences