Business Unit Compliance Officer
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
With guidance from the Compliance Business Support Manager, provide the Annuities business with expert advice and compliance monitoring to ensure ongoing compliance with regulatory requirements and also support regulatory projects as they arise. Co-located in the 1st Line and working under the direction of the Compliance Business Support Manager, act as a bridge and facilitate an effective and balanced relationship between the 1st Line Business and 2nd Line Compliance Function. Using the framework, tools and training provided by the Compliance Function, maintain an in-depth business insight and sufficient authority to support the Annuities business on compliance related matters, providing robust challenge and making a 'value add' contribution to both Lines 1 and 2
1. Regulatory Compliance Advice and Oversight - Support the Compliance Business Support Manager in providing high quality conduct and compliance advice and oversight to the 1st Line Business on key regulatory risks and issues in respect of business as usual activities.
2. Compliance Monitoring - Under the Compliance Business Support Manager's supervision lead the preparation with 1st Line Business Management and 2nd Line Compliance Function of an Annual Business Unit Compliance Monitoring Plan.
3. Compliance Procedures/Policy Attestation - Engage in cross functional activities working with other business areas across the CL UK Division, in order to ensure a regular exchange of information on key issues affecting the business, so that developments are consistent with the overall company direction, policies and standards.
4. Conduct Risk Events/Regulatory Breaches - Support the relevant Business Unit Risk Officer in the reporting and assessment of all Business Unit potential or actual risk events categorised as conduct risk, regulatory concerns or breaches and risk events impacting customers, in line with the Risk Event Standard.
5 Financial Crime Management - In conjunction with the Financial Crime Team in 2nd Line Compliance Function support the 1st Line Business Unit in resolving relevant Sanctions/PEP screening matches, managing the local 1st line Business unit Gifts and Hospitality Register in accordance with the Gifts and Hospitality Standard and anti-money laundering checks in respect of new business applications and suspicious transactions.
6. Data Privacy Management - Working with the Privacy and Data Protection Team in 2nd Line Compliance Function, provide intermediate Data Privacy guidance to operational management and those within scope of the Senior Managers and Certification Regime.
7. Governance - Provide regular Business Unit Compliance Officer reports to 2nd Line Compliance Function in respect of oversight of 1st Line Business Unit activities.
8. Communication and Training - Support 1st Line Business Management in designing and delivering ongoing training and education of staff on the regulations and compliance obligations relevant to their work, such that the business is able to integrate compliance culture into the day-to-day work processes. C
9. Skills and Knowledge - Develop and maintain interpersonal skills and knowledge of business products & services and processes as well as compliance technical knowledge in respect of the FCA Handbook and any other key regulatory requirements ensuring that the job holder has the necessary authority and access to all relevant information to provide robust challenge and support to the assigned business.
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
• In-depth knowledge working in the financial services industry particularly the retirement income sector together, with expertise in relevant regulations and managing regulatory risks specifically in respect of individual and bulk annuities, including deferred annuities. Breadth of knowledge across multiple areas of regulation required including FCA Handbook, Conduct Risk, Financial Crime and Data Protection as well as the requirements of The Pensions Regulator).
• Experience in managing and providing compliance oversight at a business level.
• Experience of compliance monitoring and undertaking compliance reviews with minimal supervision, including creating, getting approval for, and delivering regulatory plans. Ability to present advice in a clear, timely and focused way. Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
• Ability to interpret the intended outcomes of regulatory rules, principles and guidance and drive pragmatic solutions/change balancing regulatory requirements, cost/benefit, customer impact with business needs.
• Ability to take a risk based approach to organising workloads for self to meet demanding and often changing priorities, ensuring that key deadlines are met.
• Strong interpersonal, influencing and stakeholder management skills up to and including senior/executive management level.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, Business Unit leadership teams and other governance functions.
• Degree level qualification or recognised industry/professional qualification (e.g., Certificate/Diploma in Compliance - ICA, Financial Planning Certificate)
What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences