Accountant (wealth & asset management team)
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
This position is being recruited a 12 month fixed term contract.
As part of the Wealth and Asset Management reporting team the financial accountant will be responsible for producing financial accounting and external reporting in line with relevant accounting framework (IFRS, local GAAP , GWL OSFI and FCA/Solvency II regulatory reporting) requirements of the CLUK Wealth and Asset Management business unit as well as managing the completion of the monthly and quarterly reporting reconciliation requirements to senior management and executive level management.
• Responsible for producing in a controlled, effective and timely manner all inputs including ledger entries, reconciliations and reports to support the production of the core trial balance and other requirements of the financial statement close process for Canadian IFRS reporting and all the necessary adjustments required for regulatory reporting and local GAAP for assigned line of business.
• Prepare reports and deliver in person explanation of monthly results for selected Lines of Business.
• Assist with the co-ordination of the monthly close timetable, ensuring corporate deadlines can be met with suitable time for local management review of results.
• Local regulatory reporting including FCA regulatory statements on a quarterly and annual basis .
• Support the reconciliations between local and regulatory reporting. Review and obtain sign off for reconciliations, ensuring any validation errors are cleared prior to submission.
• Ensure that appropriate controls over regulatory reporting exist and that these are operating effectively.
• Preparation of statutory financial statements in accordance with local GAAP for assigned entities.
• Preparation and review of balance sheet reconciliations, ICOFR requirements and maintain relevant documentation around the control environment.
• Assist in the co-ordination of the external interim & year end audits.
• Reconciliation of the company's inter-company positions and maintenance of working relationships.
• Preparation of fee income invoices and reconciliation of debtor balances.
• Maintaining control of the capital/liquidity movements of the assigned entity including but not limited to cash rebalancing, dividends and interest payments.
• Contribution to Board and Committee papers and presentations in respect of the Wealth and Asset Management entities.
• Keep up to date with changes to regulatory reporting requirements from the PRA, EIOPA, FSA and other regulators that could potentially impact reporting.
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
• Wealth Management/Life Insurance Industry experience.
• Qualified ACA/ACCA/CIMA accountant or similar experience.
• Working knowledge of financial reporting close and regulatory reporting.
• Strong commercial awareness and understanding of the needs of the business. Will be able to apply technical accounting techniques and understand business/commercial implications.
• Sound problem solving skills and attention to detail with demonstrable ability in spotting issues, interdependencies and challenges.
• Strong communication skills, demonstrating a clear and articulate standard of written and verbal communication.
• The ability to develop and maintain strong relationships across the finance function.
• Strong interpersonal/networking skills, with the ability to maintain a variety of relationships with multiple stakeholders.
• Self-motivated, well-organised, pragmatic and able to perform tasks independently. What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences