As a Barclays Principal Engineer you will be responsible for designing and implementing secured software solutions, both for backend and frontend using modern languages and technologies. The aim of this business area is to create a powerful cards and payments platform for the future. To achieve this, you will work closely with colleagues to rapidly iterate requirements producing production strength scalable and resilient software which will be used by millions of customers.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity - helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
This opportunity is open to dynamic working arrangements. Such as working from home, flexible or compressed hours, and part-time options. If you have a need for flexibility, please apply and discuss this with us during the hiring process. What will you be doing?
• Promoting and driving innovation by actively advocating new tools, processes and technical developments to drive continuous development
• Providing technical leadership across technology choices and lead and mentor best practices
• Producing clean efficient code based on specifications
• Developing components from UI to back end using modern languages and techniques
• Creating and maintain deployment tooling and automation to support the CI/CD pipelines
• Promoting effective cloud-based approaches
• Embracing agile methodologies to rapidly iterate solutions
• Driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development What we're looking for:
• Experience with development of RESTful Web Services
• Experience developing with testing frameworks such as JUnit, Mockito, Selenium, Cucumber, Spring Unit, Mocha
• Knowledge of SCM, packaging and build tools - GIT, Jenkins, Maven and Gradle
• Strong HTML5, CSS and Java Skills that will help you in the role:
• Experience of working within Financial Services industry would be beneficial
• Experience creating prototypes and working directly with stakeholders
• Experience with Event-based architectures
• Experience with Modern Mobile development for Android, IOS and Hybrid including Swift or Kotlin Where will you be working?
Northampton was the birthplace of Barclaycard in 1966 and we've been based in Pavilion Drive since the building opened in 1997.
We purchased the building from the landlord in early 2018 as a sign of our commitment to investment in Northampton. Plans to further develop this Campus-style location are under way to allow for a real collaborative work environment. Based just off the A45 it is easily accessible by both car and bus routes.