- Manchester, England, United Kingdom Manchester England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 24 May 18 2018-05-24
See job description for details
Join us as Software Engineer in Edinburgh or Manchester
- As one of the top three lenders in the Home Buying market, we're investing heavily in transforming the way that customers buy homes and we are starting with the mortgage application process itself
- We are going to make it faster, more automatic and more customer centric and employ new technologies and approaches to achieve this
- You'll design and develop state of the art applications and services, and help us shape the future of our business
- Work with the latest technologies and hone your technical expertise in a collaborative, agile and forward thinking team environment
What you'll do
You'll design, develop and test applications and technical solutions in line with business requirements and the needs of our customers. This will involve working with lead engineers, architects and business stakeholders to build an understanding of business needs and collaborating to deliver innovative solutions to agreed budget and timescales.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Delivering well thought out estimates after a thorough consideration of design, build and testing complexity
- Building your understanding of our business' architectural direction and principles and ensuring new developments progress in line with these
- Designing and developing high-volume, high-performance, high-availability applications using proven frameworks and technologies
- Delivering software components to enable the delivery of bank platforms, applications and services
- Writing unit and integration tests within automated test environments to ensure code quality
- Keeping up to date with the latest technology developments and sharing best practice
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with a background in software engineering and design, or database design and architecture, and you'll need experience using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling.
You'll need knowledge of agile approaches, and how to operate in an agile development group. We're looking for someone with "Full Stack" capabilities, with a broad range of design, development and implementation skills, and knowledge of DevOps approaches and working practices.
You'll also have an understanding of Financial Services, particularly retail banking and lending products.
We're looking for additional knowledge of Application Programming Interface (API) development covering the following topic areas:
- Consumption of 3rd Party APIs
- Development of external APIs to be consumed by 3rd parties
- Knowledge of common patterns arising from API development, such as security, state, synchronicity, versioning
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.