Java Software Engineer
- Manchester, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 22 Mar 19
See job description for details
We're hiring a Java Software Engineer to join us in Manchester
- Join a new agile development team with a compelling mission: to disrupt the mortgages market by taking a revolutionary, customer centric approach to redesigning the application process
- Use the best technologies to show our customers a new way to buy a home - one they'd never have thought would be possible
- We're a top three mortgage lender with ambitions to grow further, so your solutions will make a difference to millions of lives
- You'll be joining the programme from the start, so it's a chance to deliver something truly special from its early stages
What you'll do
We're taking a giant leap forward to change the home buying experience forever, and have true agile development and the latest technologies to help us do it. Now we need the talent.
You'll take a leading role in the technical design, development and testing of complex applications and services, working with a team of software engineers to create truly innovative solutions that deliver on our ambition.
You'll lead in exploring the pros and cons of solution design options to stakeholders to reach the best possible decision. From initial planning to delivery, you'll work closely with a wide range of business and technical stakeholders to build solutions that define needs our customers never knew they had.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Producing modular code which tests well, and is carefully designed with future scalability in mind
- Using your experience to help guide the strategic direction for developing components and services
- Making sure we build software that's consistent with the frameworks in use across the wider engineering community when applied at their best
- Using your up-to-date understanding of industry best practice to promote learning and knowledge sharing across the team, and to tackle complex problems where there might be no proven route to success
- Developing and mentoring less experienced engineers by providing constructive, understandable feedback, and facilitating opportunities for practical learning
The skills you'll need
We're looking for a fantastic collaborator with significant experience in Java development, who has a history of working on large technology change programmes. You'll be experienced in working with cloud technologies, and will have a particular focus on service oriented architecture and event driven programming, plus knowledge of security technologies. You'll be well versed in agile development, continuous integration and test automation, and will be a great development team member who fosters and strengthens a spirit of transparency and teamwork.
Experience in a financial services or FinTech environment would be very welcome, but isn't essential if you have the enthusiasm to make an impact on the industry.
You'll also bring:
- A positive and pragmatic approach to getting new projects off the ground, and the proven ability to encourage cooperation among a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience and understanding of UX design principles
- Experience of the whole software development lifecycle - taking in inception, build and production - and an informed appreciation of how software and system design decisions affect practical considerations such as manageability, supportability, and troubleshooting
- The willingness to express your opinion, and an understanding of when to prioritise progress
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.