Our client is looking for an experienced Mortgage Underwriter to work alongside the Head of Lending. You will be skilled at mortgage underwriting applications accurately in a timely matter whilst providing a high level of customer service.
Title: Senior Mortgage Underwriter
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: Up to £50,000
Location: Kent, UK
You will be expected to provide training to any junior mortgage underwriters where skill gaps are identified. Experience within the Buy to Let markets in a similar role will put you in good stead to lead the underwriting team.
It is essential that you have held a mandate above £250,000. This position suits a candidate with a strong background and track record in lending to a variety of counterparties including corporates and buy to let portfolio managers.
You will join a diverse, energetic and experienced team who require an analytically minded individual who can recognise the need for change and make recommendations where necessary.
The position is ideal for someone who has a strong knowledge of the mortgage markets who is commuting into London and is looking to reduce the travel time.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the relationship management on the underwriting desk across new and existing buy to let mortgage clients/customers
- Figurehead of the desk for junior staff, leading tricky cases and answering technical questions for internal staff and external clients
- Manage and build relationships with third party suppliers including mortgage brokers, compliance agencies and vendors
- Work closely with front office mortgage consulting and sales team on identifying any issues, looking for resolutions and ensuring consistent flow on the desk
- Ensure all correspondence follows company formats and guidelines whilst training juniors on the desk in this regard
- Assist the wider team on difficult cases, acting as a sounding board to both colleagues and senior management on unusual underwriting issues/challenges
- Work closely with senior credit colleague on synergies between the desks, ensuring smooth and timely flow of underwriting/mortgage business in the buy to let space
- 3-5+ years’ experience as a senior underwriter in a mortgage environment
- Excellent knowledge of the buy to let markets specifically
- Proven ability to manage and lead a team of junior underwriters
- Problem solver; able to articulate resolutions to colleagues clearly and efficiently
- Prior experience managing a large book of mortgage business (in excess of 300,000GBP)
Please contact Zak Randon:
Tel: +44 (0)203 927 5081