We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it. Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
OVERVIEW OF THE DEPARTMENT/SECTION
EMEA Internal Audit Office (EIAO), as the Bank’s third Line of Defence, and in accordance with the Global Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Standards (IIA Standards), provides independent assurance to the Board and Executive Management on the quality and effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal controls to monitor manage and mitigate key risks to achieving the Bank’s objectives.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Senior Audit Manager – Corporate Investment and Regional Banking is responsible for executing and delivery of audit engagements related to Front Office business process and controls assigned by the Chief Auditor and Head of Audit. They will work within the wider team on the scoping, planning and delivery of these engagements to ensure they cover the appropriate key risks and related key controls, including the follow-up of issues raised. They may be required to conduct fieldwork, often taking a supervisory and lead role in the audit engagement.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Head of Audit to maintain areas of the audit universe and the related risk assessment, ensuring that risk assessments are up to date and accurate. Assist the Head of Audit deliver continuous monitoring assignments for a set ensuring the effectiveness of continuous monitoring which underpins audit activity and areas of focus.
- Establish and maintain strategy and approach papers for entities and risks within their Head of Audit portfolio, as directed.
- Seek opportunities to improve risk coverage (within their specialist areas) on a global basis.
- Utilise subject matter expertise, knowledge of the business and wider industry knowledge to influence the audit plan and the risk assessments applied to a risk function, including enterprise risk and operational/non-financial risks, and audit universe.
- Ensure high quality standards for audit files and opinions in line with Methodology / QA requirements.
- Ensure timely and efficient delivery and execution of audit assignments within agreed timelines/milestones.
- Ensure audit reporting and MI is accurate and complete (e.g. Monthly Control Reports, Audit Committee reporting etc.).
- Maintain constructive relationships with senior stakeholders so that audit planning and delivery are achieved smoothly and professionally.
- When leading an audit, deliver audit reports which are insightful, factually based, impactful and robust, and require minimal rewrite by the Head of Audit.
- Champion the implementation of methodology best practice through audit engagements, leading by example.
- Display very strong appreciation of risk and control in banking.
- When leading audits, responsible for agreeing draft Management Action Plan for reports and checking for robustness of actions and proposed timelines, prior to approval by relevant Head of Audit. Ownership of follow-up and validation of audit issues raised.
- Work collaboratively with all Internal Audit colleagues regionally and globally to ensure that the quality of work produced globally continues to advance. On occasions, be required to act as lead on Global Thematic Audits.
- Attend Bank forums as a Subject Matter Expert when requested.
From time to time, may also be required to take a lead role in non-‘BAU’ initiatives e.g. a working group.
- Experience of working in Internal Audit including corporate and investment banking (including trade finance).
- Knowledge of risk functions in financial institutions.
- A good understanding of the regulatory environment.
- Experience of working in a similar audit function for a major corporate/investment bank.
- Experience of corporate and structured investment products including trade finance, securitisation, loan and bond underwriting.
- Good experience working on change initiatives in an audit or advisory capacity.
- Experience of auditing or advising on business strategy or strategic processes.
- Knowledge of how to use data analytics to drive continuous risk monitoring and perform audits.
- Understanding of and experience in providing assurance over compliance with the regulatory requirements relating to corporate & investment banking.
- Experience gained in the relevant first or second line of defence business or risk functions
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- A strong understanding of risk management, and audit within the banking sector.
- Strong subject matter expertise in risk management, credit, compliance (including conduct), business operations, processes, products and controls is required. The candidate should understand regulatory requirements and minimum standards as they apply to the banking sector.
- Strong understanding of projects and change in banking.
- Strong acumen regarding auditing methods and industry practises is preferred.
- A good knowledge of key corporate events including significant business process changes, regulatory change, introduction of new products and services, outsourcing decisions and / or acquisitions/divestments.
Education / Qualifications:
- Higher education and equivalent industry qualifications and experience e.g .ACA, ACCA, ACT etc
- Relevant industry qualifications e.g. CIA, ACCA, ACA, ACT, CF, ICA are desirable but not essential.
- Project Management qualification.
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements