We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it.
Overview of the Department:
The Client On-Boarding team is part of the Client Management Services, which is situated within the Corporate and Investment Banking Division of MUFG Bank. However, this function acts as a centralized 1st line support team, providing support to Investment Banking and Corporate Banking in EMEA, Capital Markets and MUFG Securities both in London and in Amsterdam.
Main purpose of the role:
This individual will be responsible for the management and oversight for all Quality Assurance (QA) assessments across new on-boarding, Periodic Reviews and Event Driven Reviews – including KYC and Regulatory Classifications. Conducting independent and retrospective QA assessments and the line management of circa. 4 QA specialists. The Client On-Boarding Team covers a highly varied portfolio of Circa. 6,000 entities – ranging from simple listed customers, to much more complex structures, entities and product offerings, as such it will be key for this individual to fully understand all customers and the global QA toolkit – working closely with key stakeholders to build and develop an effective QA programme – identifying and escalating risks appropriately.
This function provides a critical independent and retrospective sample review of all KYC processes conducted within the 1st Line of Defense; identifying weakness, thematic issues and recommending appropriate remedial and procedural actions. In addition, this area will provide key support to both the On-Boarding team and the wider Client Management Services function, including but not limited to; developing and delivering a suite of Management Information for key stakeholders, analyzing/enriching and delivering the book of work within Client On-Boarding team.
Key stakeholders in this role are; Operational KYC counterparts, QC Counterparts, Financial Crime (2nd line of Defense), Senior management, and Audit. This individual will be the key representative and focal point in the team for all Quality Assurance related subjects. Working closely with stakeholders to ensure the highest standards are maintained, processes are as efficient as possible and management information is effective. Driving forward and influencing change is therefore essential in this role.
This role is a management role, and consists of direct line management of circa 4 FTE. Strategic planning and the development of these individual will be a key aspect of this role.
In this role, you will be responsible for Quality Assurance Assessments across MUFG’s banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, you will act and make decisions on behalf of both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the entity which employs you.
- Managing a team of QA reviewers supporting/overseeing and/or performing QA reviews of KYC activity conducted across MUFG’s Banking arm and securities business, to determine whether outputs meet the established quality objectives set out within the Global QA Standards. Initially this will be focused on work conducted within London, but as the function is established further EMEA offices will fall in scope of this QA function.
- Deliver an effective independent and retrospective review of processes to ensure a thorough & effective Customer Due Diligence is being conducted.
- Managing the allocation of roles and responsibilities among KYC QA Reviewers in accordance with the Global QA Standards.
- Develop an effective suit of Management Information reports for key stakeholders, for related activities covered within the Client Management Services function.
- Overseeing the analysis of the upcoming book of work within the Client On-Boarding team, enriching the data (through groupings and common alignment identifiers) and delivering output to the On-Boarding team and key stakeholders
- Ensuring that the results of the QA reviews are communicated to the appropriate parties, tracked and addressed in a timely manner.
- Liaising with 2nd Line of defense to assist with the planning, designing, scoping, executing, escalating and reporting of QA Reviews as a part of the overall QA cycle in accordance with the Global QA Standards.
- Driving forward central coordination, governance, and reporting, leveraging regional structures and best practices across EMEA.
- Reviewing QA reports summarizing the objectives and purpose, scope, QA review methods, limitations and a consolidation of the QA results for distribution to Senior Management and key stakeholders to provide an overview of process effectiveness and facilitating the periodic reporting to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Escalating errors and exceptions identified during QA reviews and the validation of action plans to address QA findings.
- Managing the coordination with Regional Issues Management to monitor and track the resolution of QA identified issues and action plans.
- Establishing appropriate QA management routines and ensuring proper awareness of QA review results through the reporting of QA related Key Performance Indicators and Key Risk Indicators.
- Monitoring regulatory developments, such as changes in the regulatory environment, which may impact the 1st Line of Defense QA function.
- Training and Development of more junior members of the team, this role has circa. 4 direct reports line and their performance, training and development will be a responsibility of this individual.
- Keep abreast of developments in current trends and progress on money laundering, bribery and corruption and it prevention.
Skills and experience:
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Awareness of UK & European Anti-Money Laundering regulations
- Knowledge of various corporate structures
- Able to communicate effectively to key stakeholders at all levels.
- Attention to detail is essential
- Ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Office (particularly word & excel).
- At least 5 years’ experience in Anti Money Laundering, fraud and bribery or Financial Crime roles
- Experience with Investment Banking & the On-Boarding of Corporate entities (Inc. Private Companies and SPVs)
- Experience of managing a KYC team or function.
Education / Qualifications:
- Degree Level or relevant industry experience
- Relevant qualifications in Anti Money Laundering, fraud and bribery or Financial Crime roles.
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritize work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurized environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- A confident approach, with the ability to provide clear direction to more junior members to the team
- A strategic approach, with the ability to lead and motivate more junior members of the team
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.