VP Commodities VAT
Description Job Purpose:
- Primary Location: United Kingdom,England,London
- Education: None
- Job Function: Finance
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Employee Status: Regular
- Travel Time: No
- Job ID: 19014914
To become a member of the UK based VAT Team which has responsibility for UK VAT compliance and advisory functions and the oversight (and advisory VAT work) of the VAT issues in the EMEA region.
This role includes a particular focus on supporting the commodities business, providing VAT advice in respect of global commodity transactions, assisting with technology implementation in the business and the review of the commodities' businesses VAT return and other VAT reporting requirements. Working closely with colleagues overseas to ensure the indirect tax issues associated with this business are effectively managed on a timely basis.
The role will also include a more general VAT advisory remit, to support the EMEA Head of VAT to provide ad hoc VAT advice in relation to all Citi businesses and support areas. Job Background/context:
Citi's EMEA Tax Department provides technical tax support to the EMEA businesses and acts in both a compliance and consultative role to ensure that tax risk is appropriately managed.
As such, the Tax Department is a partner to the business and provides support such as analysis of changes in tax law; new product review and development; client support and strategic tax advice. In addition, it assists with managing tax risk and processes to ensure these meet with Citi's high standards.
Citi operates in over 100 countries globally and is subject to VAT / GST compliance in the majority of these countries, with increased focus by many taxing authorities. Citi requires that all businesses meet the highest standards of compliance and the Tax Department works with the businesses to ensure this is done appropriately and efficiently. Citi also works closely with Governments to ensure the practical implications of operational taxes are understood when policy decisions are made and legislation is being considered. Key Responsibilities:
- Support the commodities business in indirect taxes and be the primary business interface with Tax
- General ad hoc VAT advice and projects on other areas of financial services VAT
- Ensure VAT compliance in the commodities business
- Assist with initiatives in respect of process efficiencies
- Accounting / Tax knowledge preferred
- An understanding and knowledge of VAT and financial services
- A background in VAT advisory work, ideally with some background in financial services or commodities
- Commodities specific experience is a benefit
- Good understanding of VAT compliance in the UK
- Experience of VAT processes and risks
- Demonstrate clear and concise verbal and written skills
- Good organisational skills with an ability to manage, prioritise, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate with business stakeholders
- Be a team eplayer, able to work with other team members across the region.
- Ability to manage and prioritise workload
- Understanding of basic accounting principles and VAT accounting
- A good communicator
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience. Valuing Diversity:
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success. Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer