UK Equity Analyst
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Old Mutual Global Investors
- 09 Feb 18 2018-02-09
We are looking for a UK Equity analyst to join our award-winning UK smaller and medium companies desk.
We are looking for a UK Equity analyst to join our award-winning UK smaller and medium companies desk. The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
• Financial literacy, preferably with experience of equity analysis within the UK market from any of the following areas; buy side, sell side, private equity or corporate finance.
• Ability to self-start and ideally a proven track record of generating both long and short ideas.
• Strong communication skills and flexibility to work within a small team
• ACA or CFA qualified or similar
The main responsibilities of the role will be:
• Research into and the production of investment views on specific sectors, including detailed understanding of companies, review of profit forecasts and appraisals of their financial position, leading to new idea generation and appraisal of existing holdings.
• Preparation of investment theses, including financial modelling and scenario analysis
• Leading company meetings with management teams, attending site visits
The highly acclaimed, multi award-winning UK smaller and medium companies (SMID) desk, headed by Dan Nickols, sits within the 15-strong UK equity team run by head of UK equities, Richard Buxton. The two flagship funds, the Old Mutual UK Smaller Companies Fund, run by Dan Nickols and team, and the Old Mutual UK Mid Cap Fund, managed by Richard Watts and team, are first quartile in their peer groups over 1,3 and 5*years, outperforming their respective benchmark indices by some considerable margin.
With approximately £5.6 billion** of assets under management, the team adopts a bottom-up approach to stock picking, with sector positioning often a by-product of the tried-and-tested investment process. The full range of funds appears below:
• The UK domiciled Old Mutual UK Smaller Companies Fund, for which Dan received Fund Manager of the Year 2018 award, has £1.2 billion** assets under management
• The UK domiciled Old Mutual UK Mid Cap Fund, for which Richard received the Fund Manager of the Year 2017 award, has £3 billion** assets under management
• The Irish domiciled Old Mutual UK Smaller Companies Focus Fund, run by Nick Williamson, contains assets of £355** million
The managers are supported by a committed team of analysts who sit next to the managers, thus encouraging lively discussion and regular exchange of ideas.
*Source: OMGI as at 31 December 2017.
**Source: Factset as at 30 September 2017.
Old Mutual Global Investors (OMGI) is a global asset management business managing £39.6bn of AUM (as at 30th September 2017) from clients across the UK, Europe, Asia and the Americas through a range of onshore and offshore funds, hedge funds and segregated mandates.