Transaction Services - Manager
A manager must be capable of handling transactions with minimal involvement of a partner; must interface with client management, financiers and other professionals; know when to seek advice from other specialists and partners and demonstrate commercial ability
• Demonstrates good commercial thinking to understand the client and the business issues.
• Takes an active part in networking events and undertakes a direct approach to target.
• Aims to build a personal network from which to generate leads.
• Is actively involved in marketing events and is an ambassador for the firm.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of the firm's products, services and capabilities and takes an active role in cross selling.
• Builds an understanding of the potential for selling into clients and intermediaries.
• Seeks to participate in business development activities and contributes to sales pitches and drafting proposals.
Credibility as a representative in TAS
• Creates a positive impact with colleagues and clients, projecting a professional image.
• Takes a second level client relationship position behind associate director / partner and can fill in for an associate director as primary contact whilst they are absent.
• Understands the perspective of different clients on the same job.
• Engenders trust and respect from a range of clients by responding to client demands and keeping clients up to date on progress.
Client take on/risk management
• Resolves and identifies risk management issues and applies knowledge to manage site issues.
• Mitigates risk through review and involvement of senior people and other specialists.
• Drafts letters of engagement accurately.
• Ensures CF work is completed prior to associate director/director review prior to submission.
• Capable of writing high quality, professionally presented reports, requiring minimal input from an associate directors.
• Reviews executives output, ensuring key issues are communicated effectively.
• Seen by peers and subordinates as a reference point for advice on particular technical areas and provides on the job training to executives.
• Demonstrates an understanding of technical issues arising in an assignment, offering potential solutions and seeking advice when appropriate.
• Ensures overall team follows Core Product methodology.
• Drafts fee estimates and budgets for submission to an associate director.
• Updates the planning memo accurately.
• Manages the day-to day aspect of assignments under associate director/partner supervision.
• Keeps partners and associate directors informed of progress, draws issues to their attention and discusses conclusions with them.
• Participates in the presentation of conclusions and recommendations to the client and discusses the implications and action points.
• Monitors and manages assignment costs versus budgets, including challenging team member time charged to other departments outside of Transactions Services.
• Ensures all files are closed down on completed projects in accordance with Grant Thornton policy (including approval sign off).
• Undertakes other duties to meet the demands of the business.
Team contribution/ management
• Organises formal and informal team meetings.
• Demonstrates leadership within the team.
• Actively seeks opportunities to attend workshops to develop technical and softer skills.
• Demonstrates a clear appetite for self development through the performance review and PDP processes.
• Reviews work afterwards for learning points.
• Coaches executives and assistant Managers and provides on the job feedback.
Operations and results
• Prepares fee estimates and budgets for client assignments and can make and justify any required changes to these as the assignment progresses.
• Ensures assignments are delivered to budget and that any variances are escalated at an early stage.
• Ensures own time is utilised effectively, as well as time of employees on their assignments, and identifies opportunities to work more efficiently.
• Ensures fees are collected in a timely manner and debtors kept to a minimum.
• Adheres to the Firm's risk management policies and is aware of changes in the Firm's approach to risk management.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
ACA (or equivalent)
2:1 honours degree (or equivalent)
Experience of writing and developing experience of reviewing reports
Good working knowledge of MS Powepoint, Excel & Word, internet and email
Developing experience of applying commercial judgement