Test Automation Engineer
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description
The Test Automation Engineer role is part of a larger test team within our Octopus Labs Centre of Expertise.
You'll be working within an Agile product team on our Strategic Tools, planning and executing the tests needed for the user stories delivered in each sprint, and using your automation experience to help us improve our testing coverage.
On a day to day basis you'll be involved in:
- Reviewing User Stories to estimate test tasks, planning and executing tests on front end web applications and API's.
- Writing and executing manual exploratory and non-functional tests where appropriate
- Writing the automation tests needed, looking after the framework and identifying and implementing improvements.
- Helping to investigate issues that arise using your technical knowledge and skills.
- Taking part in all scrum ceremonies to represent the testing function, and ensuring that the SDLC and Test Strategy are followed.
What you'll need to be successful:
- You are enthusiastic, self-motivated and passionate about delivering high quality software
- You have hands-on experience testing front end web applications & RESTful web services
- You have hands-on experience writing, executing and maintaining automated regression tests, using Selenium with C#
- You have some experience in designing automation frameworks
- You have an appreciation for both manual and automated testing and know when it is appropriate to use each approach
- You are happy to run manual exploratory tests when needed
- You have worked in an agile scrum development team, where you are well versed in estimating prioritising testing tasks
- You have used GIT or similar test repository tools, and follow CI/CD processes using VSTS/ TeamCity/Jenkins (or similar)
- Your experience covers testing on Cloud technologies (Azure or AWS) and Microservices
- You have a reasonable understanding of non-functional (performance and load) testing
- You possess strong written and verbal communication, have an outgoing personality, and are confident dealing with others
- You enjoy being flexible, proactive, enthusiastic and hardworking
- You possess great problem-solving skills - fully understanding a problem, suggesting possible solutions, and proactively following through to conclusion
- You are comfortable performing peer reviews and providing constructive feedback as part of a mentoring/coaching approach
- You value learning and have a testing qualification - e.g. ISTQB Foundation or Certified Agile Tester certification
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Experience working in a DevOps environment
- Any financial domain knowledge
- ISTQB Advanced Test Certification
- You know your way around a BDD approach, documenting test scenarios using Specflow
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.