Technical Accounting Manager / Senior Manager
- Salary of up to £55,000 - £75,000 depending on role and experience
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
Aviva provides around 31 million customers worldwide with insurance, savings and investment products. We are the UK’s largest insurer and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance. We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand. We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
Aviva’s new global operating model for Finance is based on shared services supporting the markets and a leaner corporate centre. Aviva Finance Technical (AFT) is a team of Finance experts who leverage our global technical expertise in areas like technical accounting, investments, tax, hedging and re-insurance.
The Technical Advisory and Policy team is part of AFT and comprises 12 qualified accountants. The team owns and advises on group accounting policy and its application globally. The team also advises on regulatory reporting policy.
In particular the team:
- Provides accounting advisory support on a wide range of queries, transactions and projects, partnering the Markets and Centre in making financial decisions.
- Supports high quality external and internal reporting delivery.
- Supports the interpretation and implementation of new accounting developments and inputs into Aviva’s lobbying position.
- Owns Group reporting manuals in respect of IFRS and Solvency II.
- Provides relevant training across Aviva Finance.
We are recruiting 2 qualified accountants in York to join the Technical Advisory and Policy Team at Manager/Senior Manager level. The roles are to support the Corporate Centre and General Insurance Technical Accounting leads to deliver best in class technical accounting advisory support to Aviva’s UK and global markets.
The successful candidate will be part of a team that collaborates with a wide range of stakeholders across the business on diverse assignments and projects. You must have an ability to work with and understand the needs of others, as well as excellent analytical and problem solving skills. The roles provide a significant amount of exposure to senior leaders within Aviva.
Duties & Responsibilities
As a manager/senior manager in the team key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading on accounting advisory support on a range of queries, transactions and projects typical for a FTSE 100 Financial Services entity.
- Interpretation and implementation of new accounting developments.
- Contributions to updates to Group accounting manuals.
- Review and quality assurance of external and internal reporting deliveries.
- Engagement and issue resolution with external audit on technical accounting matters.
- Provide training to wider finance on areas of expertise
Skills & Experience required
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent and be a qualified accountant with demonstrable post-qualified experience gained within a large company environment or in practice, and have an in-depth knowledge of IFRS. You will have a strong mix of relationship management and technical accounting skills, including experience of researching, interpreting and applying accounting standards.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Articulates complex analysis to a wide range or audiences.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and stakeholder management – can work with colleagues across disciplines and is credible with senior management.
- Exercises sound and balanced judgement in complex situations.
- Commercially astute, and able to translate between business actions and financial implications.
- Proven ability to manage a diverse portfolio of work.
- Can flex priorities in line with changing business needs.
- Attention to detail and controls focus, strives to keep the business safe from financial misstatement.
What will you get for this role?
- Salary of up to £55,000 manager level +10 % bonus
- Salary of up to £75,000 senior manager level + 12% bonus
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- 29 days holiday plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 30% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we’ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.