System Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION Amazon Web Services provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world. To meet the growing demand for AWS Services around the globe, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people.
Amazon is seeking a Linux/Unix Systems Administrator/Engineer with the ability to automate day to day tasks and develop/build software and/or services from the ground up. A good candidate must have strong Linux/Unix Systems Administration knowledge, including shell scripting, and a proficiency in at least one development language. They must be able to think at "Amazon scale" to solve problems in permanent, sustainable, and scalable ways. With an eye toward utilizing the best solution over the quickest solution.
At Amazon, Network Engineers rely on an ever increasing number of tools to manage thousands of network devices that support AWS services. Our Systems Team manages the hundreds of tools/services and components that the Network Engineers rely on to keep the network operational. This includes systems that track loss and incident correlation, scaling and building of new and existing network devices, and a full suite of monitoring tools. Many of these tools provided integrations with one another to give a broad to in depth view of the status of the network and aid in troubleshooting.
The Systems Development Engineers on the team are responsible for maintaining the network tools/systems described above. This includes troubleshooting problems with systems and services, regular deployment of new versions of the systems and their subcomponents, deployment/system validation and testing, service monitoring, standing up new services/tools, etc. The team works with many different internal Software Development teams to drive improvement of the systems/services within the team's scope. It is important to be able to work collaboratively and independently to investigate and document issues and create solutions to solve them at scale.
• Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical systems failures in high pressure situations?
• Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.?
• Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly, and assist in fixing them so they don't come back?
• Understand how a modern, cloud-hosted application stack works from top to bottom?
• Know how to provide technical solutions to real business problems in a global organization?
If you're a customer-focused System/DevOps Engineer who would like to contribute to a critical success story, we would love to hear from you! Over a million customers rely on Amazon Web Services (AWS) network for building and running their applications and businesses. Our customers success depends on our world-class network infrastructure, and our network depends on our systems team!
• Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to travel into the workplace for critical events/needs.
• The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Travel to data centre/systems sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
• Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
• 2+ years experience with Linux or other Unix operating systems.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
• 5+ years experience with systems software and systems architecture.
• In depth knowledge & experience of Linux or other Unix operating systems.
• Proficiency in scripting/programming with one or more of Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.
• Self driven, detail oriented, excellent analytical skills, a strong team player who works well with immediate and extended team, and consistently puts the team above oneself.
• Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision, and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
• Strong desire to build, ability to multitask, sense of ownership and urgency.
• Experience with Agile development methodologies and DevOps environments.
• Internet and operating system security fundamentals.
• Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring.
• In depth knowledge of TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies.
• Excellent knowledge of server hardware and software troubleshooting.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.