At Royal London we want to attract the best talent to help us achieve our vision of becoming the most trusted and recommend financial company in the UK. We are the largest mutual life, pensions and Investment Company in the UK, with Group funds under management of £118.9 billion and latest ProfitShare pay out to members of £142 million. Group businesses provide around 9.0 million policies and employ 3,976 people (figures as of 05 Feb 2019).
The Company Secretarial team supports the Group undertake its legal and regulatory obligations through the provision of quality Governance advice and the efficient delivery of Board and Committee meeting support.
What will you be doing
- Responsible for ensuring that the Group properly undertakes its statutory and regulatory obligations.
- Responsible for ensuring the business receive the highest level of advice in order to support the achievement of the Group’s strategic objectives including corporate transactions, business developments and special projects.
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders across the Business.
- Drive best practice, improvements and innovation across the CoSec Function.
- Leadership capability, responsibility for the mentoring and development of wider Company Secretarial team.
- Where necessary contribute more widely to the effective management of the department’s workload and responsibilities.
- Organisational basics are exceptional and processes are flawless.
- Ensure departmental process manuals and checklists are up to date and consistently applied.
- Responsible for ensuring corporate registers and Blueprint are properly maintained for all Group companies.
- Responsible for ensuring the timely filing of all forms required under the Companies Act (and corresponding legislation in other jurisdictions) for all Group companies.
- Responsible for ad-hoc projects and activities requiring technical Companies Act knowledge.
- Responsible for the arrangement and flawless execution of the AGM.
- Responsible for the delivery of the Annual Report & Accounts for all Group companies.
- Contribution to the preparation of the annual report and accounts
- Management of responses to Regulator and Auditor requests alongside managing our responsibilities Map’s under SMCR.
What we’re looking for
- Reliable, confident and self-motivated.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Excellent communicator with highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Building relationship with key stakeholders throughout the business, including proactive management of good relationships with non-executive directors.
- Previous proven ability to successfully engage with as well as support/mentor other members of the team
- Proven attention to detail and extremely well organised.
- Ability to identify emerging problems and deal with them.
- Able to understand and analyse complex issues.
- Able to understand strategic issues and how they relate at operational level.
- Embodies a customer focused mind set.
Skills that will help you in the role
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries
- Relevant Company secretary experience within a financial services environment, especially insurance (ideally some with profits knowledge) and asset management.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in thought leadership and in developing people.
- Knowledge of governance best practice, relevant issues, statutory requirements and regulations and new upcoming trends in the industry.
- Experience of leading change in governance practice to high standards.
- Experience in taking a lead in the engagement with Non-executive director and Board/Committee chairs.
- Experience in analysing and using data.
What we offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return.
- Glassdoor have ranked as among the best places to work and this year we entered the top 10
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.