Solutions ArchitectABOUT OCTOPUS
Octopus is a fast-growing company with more than 650 employees. Since we launched in 2000, we've established market leading positions across financial services, healthcare and energy.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs.
Octopus Labs is the fintech innovation unit of the Octopus Group. We fuse track record and technology, expertise and UX, to build financial products the way they should be: trustworthy, rewarding and easy-to-use.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Solutions Architect sees the bigger picture and is responsible for ensuring that our applications fit within the organisations technology infrastructure and align to the business strategy. You will help define the vision, strategy and technology principles on which we build our systems by utilising their previous experience and knowledge of best practice.
You will have the ability to establish design patterns, document solutions and work with teams to ensure they are aligned to the right path.
You will be expected to understand the current legacy systems through analysis and ensure that the business stakeholders get best value from its IT investment.
Initially you will be gathering the requirements that will define the future state architecture for Octopus systems. These systems are core to the processing of Octopus data across all companies in the group; systems that are key to the future growth of the company. You will then be expected to review the current implementation and produce a gap analysis between the current and target architectures, and to work with the development teams on creating a roadmap for the required changes.
As part of BAU you will be responsible for reviewing and approving all new project technical designs, ensuring that the right approach is taken when introducing new systems to the existing architecture.
Essential Job Functions
- Understand business needs and define the right technology solutions to meet them
- Work with the team to ensure that business requirements are met with the right tech solution based on a thorough build or buy review
- Work with experts across the group from development, operations and security to ensure alignment and build for security and scalability
- Work with the Tech Leads and Heads of Development to share learning and ensure the right training is in place
- Lead the Tech Leads on a path of alignment for future development
- Conduct current state assessment of our applications and architecture
- Define the future state capability and architecture to ensure that design principles are adhered to
- The ability to guide the large transformational projects that are in flight
- API design and governance, working across business domains to ensure APIs fulfil functional and non-functional requirements
- Previous experience technically leading teams and providing hands on delivery support as required to a varied number of internal and external stakeholders
- Reviewing and approving the technical designs submitted by the development teams
- Along with the development managers agreeing on the software tools that will underpin the target architecture (ESB, message broker etc.)
- Being a mentor for junior architects and technical leads
Other Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- Financial Services Investment Management industry experience would be advantageous
- Experience in helping teams define their Technology Strategy
- A strong understanding of architecture discipline, processes, concepts and best practices
- Hands-on experience defining technology solutions at an enterprise level
- Strong ability to share knowledge through documentation and communication
- We develop in multiple technologies so expect you to be tech agnostic whilst still appreciating the limitations of the different languages\platforms.
- Where possible we host in the cloud (AWS, GCP, & Azure) and need someone who is comfortable working on those platforms.
- Ability to communicate your vision of the target architecture to all levels of the organisation.
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout the Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe.
- We love entrepreneurs.
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 17 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
- Flexible working hours - work form home /outside the office
- 10% of time to develop your skills or work on whatever you want
- Competitive salary and shares in the company
- Private healthcare with Bupa
- Benefits and discounts to certain stores
- Pension / Life insurance plan
- Standing desks
- Free tea, coffee, milk, and fruits
- Friday mornings coffee from outside the office
- Very diverse/multinational team
Send a brief cover letter and a CV.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
B e bold
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.