Software Development Manager - Alexa Shopping
DESCRIPTION Come be a pioneer.
Echo devices and Alexa are changing the way people all over the world are interacting with computers. We are creating a world where access to information, control of your smart home, and communication with the people you care about most is always just a word away. Just ask Alexa. We are not just imagining the future - we are building it!
The Alexa Shopping team in London is creating new ways for customers to search, research, and buy the products they need when they need them and with minimal effort. We help customers go from 'I want that' to 'that's on the way' in a matter of seconds. We build experiences for Echo devices, Fire TV, mobile and the web, combining voice and graphical user interfaces to help customers shop in the way that is most convenient to them.
We are seeking talented and experienced engineering leader to design and develop the next generation shopping experiences. You will have the freedom and encouragement to experiment, improve, invent, and innovate on behalf of our customers. You will have an impact on Amazon's new devices and the way customers will shop in the future and have a unique opportunity be a key contributor to building something special from its earliest stages.
As a leader on the team, you will be tasked with solving complex technology problems in a fast-paced agile environment, constantly learning and adapting to rapidly evolving customer needs.
What you will work on: You will grow a team of talented and experienced engineers to define and implement components accessed by millions of customers on Echo devices, Amazon.com and Mobile applications. Your team will develop delightful experiences by building and operating massively scalable services. You will work closely with multiple product managers and engineering leaders from partner teams in Amazon Retail and the Alexa organization.
What we are looking for: We are looking for a talented Software Development Manager with a strong technical background, customer obsession and solid people management skills to manage and develop a highly-talented and experienced engineering team. As we are a rapidly expanding small team, you will be required to have solid hiring and new hire development skills. Strong judgment and communication skills, long-term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for the success in this role.
You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You should be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and relish the idea of solving problems. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon. Along the way, you will learn a lot, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
• Strong experience managing software engineering teams and developing technical direct reports (performance review communication, accountability, motivation/engagement).
• Considerable knowledge of software development experience in object-oriented design and coding (eg Java, C++, C#, Python), or related technologies
• Strong design, architecture, and problem solving skills
• Academic and/or industry experience with one of more of the following domains: machine learning, product graphs, mobile computing, or large-scale distributed systems.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • A Master's Degree in Computer Science
• A history of working in start-ups and fast paced environments handling multiple, competing priorities
• A deep understanding of software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping production quality software on time
• The ability to operate production applications at scale with high availability utilizing operational excellence best practices
• Deep experience in web technologies and creating compelling mobile experiences using these technologies.
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.