Software Development Manager
DESCRIPTION Alexa Shopping Spoken Language Understanding team is looking for a software development manager to join a growing team in London. The team's mission is to 'put the customer in the loop' to improve the shopping experience on Alexa. The team will be building systems to collect and use explicit and implicit signals from customer behaviour. You will be building customer facing voice only and voice/touch features across all Alexa surfaces. The team owns an AWS server-less back-end service and a machine learning pipeline to support its mission.
As a senior leader on the team, you will be tasked with solving complex technology problems in a fast-paced agile environment, constantly learning and adapting to rapidly evolving customer needs. You will have the support of Product, Data Scientists and CX Design and the freedom and encouragement to experiment, improve, invent, and innovate on behalf of our customers.
You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the wider team. You should be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and relish the idea of solving problems. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon. Along the way, you will learn a lot, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
• Strong experience managing software engineering teams and developing technical direct reports (performance review communication, accountability, motivation/engagement).
• Considerable knowledge of software development experience in object-oriented design and coding (eg Java, C++, C#, Python), or related technologies
• Strong design, architecture, and problem solving skills
• Academic and/or industry experience with one of more of the following domains: machine learning, product graphs, mobile computing, or large-scale distributed systems.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • A Master's Degree in Computer Science
• A history of working in start-ups and fast paced environments handling multiple, competing priorities
• A deep understanding of software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping production quality software on time
• The ability to operate production applications at scale with high availability utilizing operational excellence best practices
• Deep experience in web technologies and creating compelling mobile experiences using these technologies.
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions