Software Development Engineer - Alexa Knowledge
This role can be based in either London, UK or Cambridge, UK.
You: "Alexa, I'm looking for a job where I can build products straight out of science fiction."
Alexa: "I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge, UK. What role are you looking for?"
You: "I'd like to work on making you even smarter than you are today."
Alexa: "Wonderful. There are multiple roles in Cambridge where you can do that, here are the details ... "
Our focus in the Alexa Knowledge team combines natural language understanding, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and building autonomous machine reasoning to allow our customers to get answers to their questions in the most natural way possible. We're part of a huge research and engineering effort on the Amazon Alexa team.
The problems we solve in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge help Alexa get smarter by understanding the different ways people talk, by learning more and more facts about the world, by improving her common sense reasoning and by responding in the most natural way possible in multiple languages.
As a Software Development Engineer at Alexa Knowledge, you will be part of a team of engineers in the design, development, test and deployment of services. We have opportunities for you to work in areas such as machine learning, big data, distributed/scalable systems, server side applications, customer intelligence, and many more.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Delivering high quality code on time as part of a cross-functional team.
• Contributing to team discussions around system component design, improvement and integration.
• Designing and developing high performance, test-driven code.
• Working with and maintaining a large existing code base as well as new components; maintaining production code and contributing to deployment and QA processes.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Extensive professional experience in software development
• Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals such as; object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java or C++
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Excellent design skills with a proven ability to find simple solutions to complex problems.
• Experience of working with complex information at large scale.
• Comfortable collaborating with teams with very different technical skills, and non-technical teams.
• Taking a proactive approach to repeatable tasks, looking for ways to replace them with self-service tools and/or automation.
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.