Software Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION Come build the future of entertainment with us! Are you interested in shaping the future of movies and television? Do you want to define the next generation of how and what Amazon customers are watching?
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers customers a vast collection of TV shows and movies - all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place. We offer customers thousands of popular movies and TV shows from Originals and Exclusive content to exciting live sports events. We also offer our members the opportunity to subscribe to add-on channels which they can cancel at any time and to rent or buy new release movies and TV box sets on the Prime Video Store. Prime Video is a fast-paced, growth business - available in over 240 countries and territories worldwide. The team works in a dynamic environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
A day in the life
You'll join the Living Room Client's Playback Experience team who are responsible for the customer experience during the playback for Prime Video content. You'll help ensure the playback starts quickly, and plays reliably and successful operations of the many playback features such; as Subtitles, Audio Languages, Seeking, Parental control, and Adverts. As part of the engineering team you'll shape the architecture of the React application and ensure a high quality bar when it comes to writing, maintainable, scalable and testable code. You'll also join the team on-call and help respond and resolve live issues from customers and downstream teams.
About the hiring group
This role within the Prime Video Living Room Client team will give you the opportunity to shape how customers consume Prime Video on Smart TV, Set Top Boxes, and Game Consoles. As part of Living Room Client you'll build and support the experiences that allow Amazon's customers to discover, stream, and enjoy Amazon Originals and third party movies, shows and Live Events. Your focus in this role will be building new UI in React and Typescript, integrating with backend service at a global scale using AWS, and to help support and debug customer issues to ensure the Prime Video Living Room client is always available.
Our vision is to provide a market leading playback experience for customers to enjoy Prime Video on-demand and live content. We aim to delight customers with fast and reliable playback; a smooth and frustration free interface which clearly informs customers about the content they are viewing. Navigation is effortless with minimal interactions so customers can simply enjoy the content. We never stop innovating, constantly bringing new features that give customers more reasons to love Prime Video. We keep our software, technology, tools, and processes fresh so we can securely and rapidly respond to the needs of our customers.
Living Room Playback CX own the experiences that control and enhance playback in the 3PLR Prime Video app, allowing our customers to enjoy on-demand and live Prime Video content without frustration.
Our agile team runs using Kanban with daily stand-up, weekly team and operations meeting and regular team socials and lunches.
• Building and supporting end-to-end playback customer experiences for all living room devices. Experiences such as playback of movies, shows, linear channels and live events; selecting, fetching, and rendering subtitles; seeking through content; reporting playback analytics; playback navigation and advert insertion and reporting.
• Support existing software features
• Working with stakeholders to help balance customer needs and business requirements.
• Defining technical approaches and architecture for our software and services to meet challenging customer and business needs.
• Design and produce readable, scalable, maintainable, and testable software solutions.
• Contributing to Prime Videos operations by identifying issues, root causing problems, and helping to improve our software at every opportunity.
• Mentoring and developing new team members as well as contributing to the hiring process.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Able to handle ambiguous or vaguely defined challenges through abstract thinking
• Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving and complexity analysis
We offer a strong benefits package including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team to work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.