Software Development Engineer
Alexa Shopping Product Advisor is our initiative to make Alexa the world's most knowledgeable expert on all products or services. Q&A is one of the most engaging features on Alexa. Customers also engage with Q&A on Amazon's detail pages, with first-time use driving significant long term revenues. Amazon has both authoritative product catalog, deep customer data, and an engaged community of customers, sellers, and vendors, and we are uniquely positioned to provide helpful information on any product or service in the world.
The London team is seeking a talented software developer to lead, design, and drive the Alexa Product Advisor Contextual Follow-up Questions on both mShop app and Echo family devices. You'll have the freedom and encouragement to experiment, improve, invent, and innovate on behalf of our customers. Do you enjoy building customer experiences that will be used all over the world by millions of customers? Do you enjoy tackling technical problems that haven't been solved before? If yes, this is a great opportunity for you!
If you join today, you will have the satisfaction of being able to look back and say you were a key contributor to something special from its earliest stages.
You will work in the team enabling Alexa to answer customers' follow-up questions about specific products that customers have already discovered or added to his cart in both mobile apps and echo family devices, covering the following areas:
- Work with our design team to define and implement the best user experience and user interface
- Implement and improve our natural language understanding FST's and machine learning techniques
- Improve our existing answering ranking federation service and answer sources
- Full vertical E2E ownership of Product Advisor follow-up questions functionality
You will be expected to be proficient technically, mentor and grow junior developers, encourage software development best practices, and iterate quickly.
What we are looking for: We are looking for a talented Software Development Engineer with a strong technical background, customer obsession and bias for action with a track record of leading and delivering robust solutions quickly. Strong judgment and communication skills, long-term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for the success in this role.
Given that this is an early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in building quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and you'll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a lot, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's (or above) Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java, Go, Python, Ruby, C++, or C PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experience working in an agile, fast-iterating software development environment
• Passion for creating and building the best user experience
• Hand-on experience with front-end technologies such as AJAX, jQuery, JSP, React, HTML and CSS
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.