Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world's largest independent multimedia news provider, reaching more than one billion people every day. Over 2,500 journalists in nearly 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage in 16 languages with speed, impartiality and insight to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, the world's media organizations and directly to consumers on Reuters.com. Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
The successful candidate will form part of the Reuters News Agency Video development team. The team develops the systems which deliver Reuters Video News globally to broadcasters and digital publishers. The team also assists with the implementation and maintenance of these systems and the development of the Video News production systems. Position Title: Software Engineer Role Summary:
Our innovative work has recently been featured by the Royal Television Society Television Journalism Awards and one of our cloud based systems was presented by AWS at Re:Invent.
The Reuters News Agency licenses Reuters news and services to the news industry. Our customers are broadcasters, print and digital publishers, corporations and governments. Reuters News Agency provides its clients with multi-media news solutions to reach their audiences. Our products include video & text feeds, pictures & graphics, packaged content and syndication services which reach billions of consumers around the world. Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Design, develop, test and integrate new and existing software, ensuring that it meets business requirements.
- Provide technical support to operations and other development teams.
- Produce technical documentation.
- Review work of peers and junior developers.
- Actively participate in all aspects of agile development methodologies
Technical /Professional Skills & Competencies: Essential Skills & Experience Required:
- Regularly communicate and share knowledge, including upward communication of work status to development managers.
- Work as part of a team, completing varied work assignments and collaborating with or assisting others in their work.
- Communicate with customers and business stakeholders to exchange information, understand requirements, and solve problems.
- Extensive practical software development experience.
- Working knowledge of databases and document stores: General RDBMS, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch
- Proven back-end development experience (on-premises infrastructure or cloud).
- Working knowledge of Agile methodologies, preferably Scrum or Kanban.
- Ability to troubleshoot and investigate problems in a timely manner.
- Enthusiasm for new technologies, and ability to independently learn and assess them.
- Good communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Good team-working skills.
- Cloud development experience (AWS preferred).
- Spring framework.
- Knowledge of cloud computing concepts.
- Experience installing or replacing PC or Server components, for video processing hardware
- Experience working with virtualized, containized, or serverless systems
- Experience with any of the following: Clojure, Groovy, Scala, Docker, Jenkins
- Working knowledge of Linux & Windows Server operating systems.
- Experience with system configuration management tools
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com . Locations