Senior back-end python developer
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description OUR TECH STACK:
At Octopus Labs we're building a suite of micro-services in Python, running on Tornado and hosted on Kubernetes in Google Cloud with MySQL databases. Our front-end developers use React, and we utilise Jenkins for our deployment pipeline and Sentry for exception reporting. We are continually assessing our tech stack and welcome ideas around new ways of working and technologies that improve efficiency.
We are integrating everything, from our own micro-services to third-party tools, into MS Teams. THE ROLE:
We are looking for an experienced Senior Python developer to join us as a key senior member of the development team, taking ownership of the development for assigned tasks and features for the Octopus Products as assigned by the team lead. Under the guidance of a Tech Lead you will be responsible for investigating solutions, leading on implementing best practice, adhering to secure coding standards and continuously raising the bar on the quality and scalability of our products and technology. As part of our dynamic full stack agile team you will have a collaborative can-do attitude, sharing your knowledge with other team members both formally and informally and contributing to continuously improving our business. Key Responsibilities:
- Writing and testing effective, scalable code
- Developing back-end components to optimise responsiveness and overall performance
- Integrating user-facing elements into applications and integrating applications with third-party web services.
- Test and debug programs
- Improve scalability and functionality of existing systems
- Implement security and data protection solutions as agreed in the roadmap
- Coordinate with internal teams to understand user requirements and provide technical solutions
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Experience working with Google Cloud environment
- Experience with the Tornado web framework and asynchronous programming
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.