Senior Technical Consultant - Cloud Ops Engineer
About the opportunity Department Description
Technology Infrastructure Services (TIS) is responsible for managing all infrastructure components, supporting business delivery projects and delivering TIS projects. The function is divided into six core disciplines:
- Service Management - Responsible for managing our Customers, Service Desk & proximity services, Incident & Problem Management and Application Infrastructure.
- Delivery Support - Responsible for supporting the delivering of business change initiatives, which includes project, small works, environment management and other non BAU tasks.
- Technology Control - Responsible for protecting the Infrastructure Environment includes Security Management, Risk and Audit Management, Change Management and Disaster Recovery.
- Architecture and Engineering - Responsible for Technology Architecture and engineering solutions, in line with Technology roadmaps.
- Operating Environment - responsible for maintenance and fault resolution on Platforms, Storage, Messaging and Data Centre Services.
- Network & Voice - responsible for maintenance and fault resolution on Network, Voice and Firewall, managing commercials and financials, and delivery of TIS projects, within technology domain.
- Application infrastructure - Responsible for maintenance of the application infrastructure layer that involves middleware, database, application deployments and managing internal applications.
The above underpins a cloud first strategy with increasing adoption of Azure & Amazon services where workloads are moving from onpremise datacentres into public cloud/SaaS based services.
What we do -
- Engineer & support all aspects of the FIL AWS core services
- Consult all teams, Product Owners, technologies & opportunities
- Pair program, every day
- Test driven development by default + full CI/CD automation.
- Challenge the status quo
- Collaborative, transparent friendly working environment
- Daily standups, weekly retros
- Visibly involved in usergroups/summits Purpose of your role
The Senior Technical Consultant will be responsible for engineering & supporting the Fidelity AWS Core Cloud Services and the long term ownership of their strategic development at FIL. As a member of a global extreme agile programming team aligned to the AWS Cloud Product Owner, you will offer best practise trusted advisor consultancy to enable effective adoption of AWS services whilst ensuring quality MVP deliverables for a robust, automated and innovative evolving Production service within this cloud enablement group. This role has specific interest in cloud security and will be expected to help drive innovative solutions to meet our Cybersecurity requirements.
The Senior Technical Consultant will be expected to implement quality based solutions, looking for opportunities to collaborate with all FIL teams, especially Cloud Security & Cyber Security, TIS Product SMEs, Enterprise Architects & Delivery contacts in support of the Product roadmap taking using agreed patterns.
The candidate will play a key role in showcasing the cloud capabilities of the AWS core services available to FIL developers & application Product Owners whilst being fully hands on to program, identify & resolve technical issues & continually improve the quality innovation of the team. Key Responsibilities
This position requires a strong flexible, approachable self-starter with extremely solid technical programming background and influencing skills , who shows courage through technical implement to deliver quality based solutions in a complex environment which includes assisting development teams with architecture, design decisions, coding, trouble shooting and any other technical issues related to moving existing or creating new applications into AWS using the core services.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Technical senior engineer with responsibility of delivering secure, automated, self serviced, innovative & cost efficient core services reliably and repeatedly into AWS using extreme programming methodologies aligned to the strategic roadmap set by the AWS Cloud Product Owner.
- Support the AWS Cloud Product Owner to analyse security requirements & provide innovative solutions that challenge the status quo based on previous experience & best practise.
- Work closely with Enterprise Architecture & Cloud Security to define the architectural patterns for optimum use across Fidelity.
- Enable customers to understand & use the services in the most effective way to realise business benefit quickly using all means possible supported through a global operating engineering product model.
- Show courage of conviction to evanglise change within the FIL Delivery & Infrastructure teams through collaboration and empathy, driven from a position of trust, patience & knowledge. Identify new improvements / requirements on cloud, propose solutions and agree with the core team, ensuring alignment with the AWS Product Owner strategy.
- Actively coach & support other team members through pairing, encouraging an open collaborative working culture within & outside the team.
- Illustrate a sound technical understanding of all cloud based technologies, both from an infrastructure & development perspective ensuring practical experience can substantiate this understanding to benefit influencing others to adopt cloud.
The ideal candidate will have
- A strong development & infrastructure engineering background with hands on experience of cloud based technologies across multiple cloud providers focusing on delivering services that are loosely coupled, highly scalable & codes to cope with failure at every level with a security bias.
- Proven practical experience of implementing simple & effective solutions that meet security requirements together with the ability to identify risks with mitigating actions.
- Excellent knowledge of creating & managing continuous delivery pipelines enabling continuous integration using test driven development with high coverage in a multi-tenant, full stack Production enterprise cloud configuration where rolling intra-day upgrades are BAU, security & audit requirements are met by default.
- Excellent python & BOTO programming skills with clear logical & practical use of innovative yet keeping it simple coding capability.
- Very good knowledge of the core AWS services in relation to their use case, integration with hybrid networking models, authentication, authorisation & best practise.
- Very good knowledge of using Terraform.
- Very good practical working knowledge of all network layers & security controls possible in AWS/hybrid models
- A technical, pragmatic engineer who can follow best practise agile Kanban based Product teams using pointed MVP value add stories enabling rapid agile delivery to our customers. Demonstrative effective problem solving skills across the entire stack using traditional RCA methods rather than just relying on tools.
- Full transparency of work with others to ensure maximum knowledge transfer & collaboration across the global teams. Highly motivated team player that forms strong relationships with colleagues with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills in English, although Hindi, Chinese & Japanese very useful.
- A keen evangelist with interests in technology, security, cloud native application development and an active open source contributor & public speaker.
What sets you apart from the crowd
About you About Fidelity International
- Your journey to cloud based technologies has evolved from a solid foundation of adopting best practises evidenced through deliverables in your previous roles
- Coding in the open & frequent contributions to the open source community
- A keen interest in cybercrime & emerging technologies
- Your awesome charismatic personality of sharing & humble approach to your work
- Your ability to keep it simple, deliver quality & bring the team with you
Fidelity International offers investment solutions and services and retirement expertise to more than 2.5 million customers globally. As a privately held, purpose-driven company with a 50-year heritage, we think generationally and invest for the long term. Operating in more than 25 countries and with $739.9 billion in total assets, our clients range from central banks, sovereign wealth funds, large corporates, financial institutions, insurers and wealth managers, to private individuals.
Our Workplace & Personal Financial Health business provides individuals, advisers and employers with access to world-class investment choices, third-party solutions, administration services and pension guidance. Together with our Investment Solutions & Services business, we invest $567 billion on behalf of our clients. By combining our asset management expertise with our solutions for workplace and personal investing, we work together to build better financial futures.
Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We are proud of our inclusive culture and encourage applications from the widest mix of talent, whatever your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, social background and more.
As a flexible employer, we trust our people to perform their role in the way that works best for them, our clients and our business. We are a disability-friendly company and would welcome a conversation with you if you feel you might benefit from any reasonable adjustments to perform to the best of your ability during the recruitment process and beyond. Data as at 31 March 2021. Read more at https://www.fidelityinternational.com/
Applying to this Job Role: Please note you are only required to upload your CV/Resume to the application screen.