Senior Tax Executive - Innovation & Technology
Senior Tax Executive - Innovation & Technology Role: Senior Executive- Innovation & Technology Location: London Contract: Permanent Overview
Primary responsible for managing a portfolio of claims for R&D tax relief and tax credits. This involves undertaking technical and financial assessment, liaison with HMRC, dealing with HMRC enquiries, client management and supervision and training of junior staff. Responsibilities
- Leading R&D meetings with clients, building and developing effective working relationships with colleagues, intermediaries and other networks to develop further opportunities and business over time
- Identification of qualifying R&D projects and expenditure through participation in technical and financial discussions with clients
- Ensuring R&D claims meet the requirements of relevant tax legislation and guidelines
- Preparation of R&D claim financial calculations and liaison with both internal and external tax teams to ensure tax returns and computations correctly reflect the outcome of technical assessments
- Project management of claims such as liaison with clients, colleagues and HMRC to ensure claims are optimised and deadlines are met
- Developing relationships with relevant key contacts at HMRC
- Where enquiries are opened by HMRC, actively leading in their resolution
- Actively supervising and training new and less experienced R&D consultants as well as business development teams
- A holder of a recognised Science or Engineering Postgraduate Degree (MSc/MEng and/or PhD).
- A business degree and/or other finance degree/qualification would be an advantage (but not necessary)
- Previous experience of research and development (R&D) in a relevant science or engineering sector and/or academic environment would also be an advantage (but again not necessary)
- Excellent knowledge of UK R&D tax relief schemes and claim quantification.
- Proven experience of managing several projects simultaneously, and experience in working within a business unit with internal and external clients
- Proven experience of working independently on R&D tax relief claims for both small and large companies, with proven record of comfortably liaising with Managing Directors, Financial Directors, CEOs , CTOs etc... of such companies
- Excellent knowledge of HMRC R&D tax relief guidelines, both past and current, as well as proven record of experience in communicating directly with HMRC on R&D tax matters
- Excellent communication (both spoken and written) and people skills with the ability to translate complex ideas into non-technical concepts
- Strong numerical ability
- Fluency in a second language would be desirable but is not essential
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. Please note that any references to salary or pay rates in this advertisement and in the salary refinement section are indicative only and should only be used as a guide.