Senior Systems Development Engineer - Pyxis
DESCRIPTION Are you passionate about the development environment and the ways it can be improved to boost productivity? Do you make and customize your own tools to get things done faster and more reliably? Do you care about your fellow engineers and would like to have a customer you can fully understand and relate to?
Our team is responsible to develop and improve the cloud-based platform Amazon engineers use for development. Since development in Amazon is in a constant process of change, this initiative leaves ample opportunities for innovation. In this team you will have the opportunity to play an active role in defining both how our products will work for our customers and how they will function under the hood.
Join and have an impact at Amazon scale!
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life.
As a developer, you know how it feels when your tools both enable you and "get out of the way" so that you can attain your maximum speed and creativity. Those moments are amazing, right? Now imagine if you could build tools to help 50,000 other world-class developers experience that level of productivity. At Builder Tools, you will work with a highly collaborative team to design and deliver bespoke solutions used by nearly every developer at Amazon.
Nearly every developer at Amazon needs one or more EC2 instances on which to build and test their code. Our team automates the process of building and configuring those instances. We maintain both a CLI and a simple web management interface. Our challenge is to provide thousands of Amazon developers the latest platform advancements as quickly and reliably as possible. Our team is growing to provide broader tool support to developers so that the Edit-Compile-Test cycle gets faster and smoother regardless of the developer's IDE or their project's underlying tech stack.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • 4+ years of professional (non-internship) software development experience
• 4+ years Linux Operating System experience
• 4+ years plus of distributed system management experience
• 2+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ year(s) developing system management / automation software in Perl, Python, Ruby, or Java
• Familiarity with noSQL databases like DynamoDB or MongoDB, DynamoDB is preferred.
• Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field, or relevant work experience
• Fundamental Computer Science knowledge, including experience in applying common algorithms, data structures and design patterns
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
• Experience operating large scale systems
• Experience in a 24/7 production environment
• Strong ownership, urgency, and drive to launch and maintain services
• Passion for providing a great customer experience
• Proficiency in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
• A high degree of organization and be very detail-oriented
• Excellent troubleshooting skills and a proven documentation methodology
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.