Senior Software Development Engineer - Prime Video (London)
Come build the future of entertainment with us.
Are you interested in shaping the future of movies and television? Do you want to define the next generation of how and what Amazon customers are watching?
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers customers a vast collection of TV shows and movies - all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place. We offer customers thousands of popular movies and TV shows from Originals and Exclusive content to exciting live sports events. We also offer our members the opportunity to subscribe to add-on channels which they can cancel at anytime and to rent or buy new release movies and TV box sets on the Prime Video Store. Prime Video is a fast-paced, growth business - available in over 240 countries and territories worldwide. The team works in a dynamic environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
Beyond this content exclusivity, the service further differentiates from other video-on-demand services by offering Prime members the opportunity to subscribe to 60+ channels like Discovery, HBO, Eurosport Player and Hayu and hundreds of thousands of additional titles to watch instantly with no extra apps to download or long-term contracts.
We work in a dynamic and exciting environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
Who We Are
Prime Video Finance System's team builds world-class bespoke financial software to support our expanding global video business. This software calculates and pays all the royalties owed to our third party content providers. Our automation system handles millions of transactions a day, requiring high performance, high accuracy, and high flexibility to allow us to enable the fast going video business.
How We Work
Our team believes in transparent communication, open discussion on design ideas, and have a fail-fast, Agile, mindset. We expect everyone to engage in discussions and want to continue developing an innovative culture where every idea is listened to. The team owns the end-to-end delivery including supporting our customers.
We are seeking a Senior Software Development Engineer to lead the technology vision and strategy for the entirety of the royalties automation team. You will build and lead the design of software using modern AWS technology (Lambda, DynamoDB, CDK, etc.), Java, and full-stack technologies (React, Nodejs). Our systems handle high scale and high data volume of transactions, capturing every financial event within Prime Video. Our data must be immutable and strongly consistent, so typical parallelization techniques won't always work. A success candidate will have an established background in developing high scale distributed systems, strong technical abilities, excellent organization skills, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a face-paced environment, and a desire to help other engineers grow to their full potential.
What You'll Do
• Solve technical problems in an ambiguous space with a huge customer/architecture impact
• Develop and have input into the design of the architecture used for both our user interface and backend services
• Work with key stakeholders throughout Prime Video and beyond at Amazon
• Help shape our technology stack now and into the future
• Coach and mentor team members to help with their career growth
• Hire and develop best engineers
What You'll bring
• Strong experience in technical leadership to layout technical architecture in an ambiguous area and deliver through the team
• Strong experience in leading teams in systems design & architecture, including leading design reviews for your team and/or others
• Experience leading and influencing professional software engineering best practices for your team and others, across the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code & design reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, security, and operations
• Experience mentoring software engineers on your team to successfully execute on their deliverables, and achieve their longer term career aspirations
• Experience working directly with customers, senior management, and/or business/product teams to influence your team's roadmap & prioritization and delivery plan
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience
• Experience with cloud computing on AWS, and large-scale, high-availability distributed architectures that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience with frontend development utilizing React and TypeScript
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on objective criteria including your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all sections of society irrespective of colour, race, religion or belief, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, disability, age or trade union membership. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.