Senior Software Development Engineer - Prime Video (London)
DESCRIPTION Amazon's Prime Video is a premium on-demand video entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch from popular Prime Original TV shows (made by Amazon Studios) such as The Grand Tour, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan and the recent Golden Globe winning The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel to Prime Original Movies like the Oscar-winning Manchester by the Sea and The Salesman. The service also offers TV shows that are exclusively available for Prime members in each country such as American Gods, MR ROBOT and Outlander, and more recently live sport including the US Open tennis from 2018 and Premier League games from 2019. Beyond this content exclusivity, the service further differentiates from other video-on-demand services by offering Prime members the opportunity to subscribe to 60+ channels like Discovery, Starz, Eurosport Player and hayu and hundreds of thousands of additional titles to watch instantly with no extra apps to download or long term contracts. Prime Video is at the forefront of the entertainment industry and growing fast - now available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide - and we work in a dynamic, and exciting environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on...
Beyond this content exclusivity, the service further differentiates from other video-on-demand services by offering Prime members the opportunity to subscribe to 60+ channels like Discovery, HBO, Eurosport Player and Hayu and hundreds of thousands of additional titles to watch instantly with no extra apps to download or long-term contracts.
We work in a dynamic and exciting environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
Who We Are
Video Commerce Checkout UI team build the user interface and widgets responsible for delivering the full checkout experience for Amazon's Prime Video. Whether customers are looking to subscribe to Prime Video, Channels or simply purchase or rent a movie or TV show, they see and interact with our UI - in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide across devices. Our UI platform handles millions of transactions every year, requiring a high quality bar, whilst allowing us to have a huge customer impact with new UI experiments, innovation and creativity.
How We Work
Our pizza-team believe in transparent communication, discuss design ideas and have an Agile mindset, developing processes around this, together, as we grow. We expect everyone to engage in discussions and want to continue developing an innovative culture where every idea is listened to. The team owns the end-to-end delivery including supporting our customers.
We are currently working on a number of exciting customer-facing and next gen architectural projects. With a team of highly experienced and like-minded individuals, we need someone to help influence, shape our architecture vision and technically lead the team into the next evolution of checkout experiences for our customers. This is a full stack role, working on both client and server side components. Our new platform stretches the traditional notions of scale, even for Amazon! A successful candidate will have an established background in developing software for consumer-facing products, a strong technical ability, excellent organizational skills, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, and, help other engineers to grow.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
• Understanding of computer science fundamentals such as algorithm design, problem solving, complexity analysis, data structures and object orientated design
• Experience in leading at least 1-2 teams in designing, building and implementing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience leading & influencing software engineering best practices within your team and across others for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience mentoring software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • MS Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience with embedded computing platforms such as games consoles, mobile phones, set-top boxes and Smart TV's
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on objective criteria including your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all sections of society irrespective of colour, race, religion or belief, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, disability, age or trade union membership. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.