Senior Social Development Specialist
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 104 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Senior Social Development Specialist will be primarily responsible for supporting the integration of social dimensions into the operational work of AIIB and managing the social risks and impacts in investment strategies, policies, programs and projects as per the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP).
Responsibilities Operational Support
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate and manage social risks and impacts.
- Appraise the social risks and impacts associated with investment projects, both Sovereign-backed Financing (SBF) and Nonsovereign-backed Financing (NSBF), including projects involving financial intermediaries (FI), against the requirements of AIIB's ESP. More specifically, this responsibility includes:
- Screening projects for potential social risks and impacts and proposing the ES category for the project.
- Conducting AIIB's due diligence assessment on the social aspects of the project, including field visits if needed.
- Participating in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects.
- Supporting clients in the preparation and implementation of social impact assessments (SIA), resettlement planning frameworks (RPF), resettlement plans (RP), Indigenous Peoples Plan (IPP), Indigenous Peoples planning frameworks (IPPF) and other relevant instruments for managing social risks and impacts in projects across priority sectors such as water, urban development, energy or transport.
- Conducting social due diligent reviews, advisory work, and compliance studies, including field-based reviews as needed.
- Monitoring the implementation of the relevant social risk management instruments of the project and addressing any issues that arise during project implementation, including any changes in the project design or scope.
- Assisting clients to address any noncompliance with their obligations by providing support to develop, recommend, and monitor courses of action/corrective measures required of the client to bring the project back to compliance with the AIIB's ES Policy.
- Conducting reviews of a client country's relevant laws and regulations and corporate management systems and their institutional capacities to implement a project, in order to determine their potential for selective partial or full use in AIIB-financed projects.
- Contribute to AIIB's knowledge base on social aspects, particularly related to ESF requirements and emerging ESG frameworks.
- Develop and conduct training on ES sustainability of infrastructure projects and requirements of AIIB's ESP for AIIB staff and clients.
Requirements The Senior Social Development Specialist must have proven ability to carry out complex tasks as part of multi-disciplinary teams, capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines; and ability to work with project teams, clients and key stakeholders on managing environmental and social risks and impacts.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in social science, community development, planning, law, or related discipline.
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant experience in fields either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank (MDB), bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Proven application of professional expertise in planning, management and monitoring of social aspects, including risks and impacts of infrastructure projects in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Demonstrated experience with the planning, preparation and implementation of project-level social assessments and related types of studies, including relevant social risk management plans and frameworks.
- Effective ability to participate in project development and supervision, including project design, feasibility studies, consultations with key stakeholders and management of ES risks. Demonstrated experience in monitoring social aspects for projects under implementation.
- Ability to effectively work with AIIB's public and private sector clients and financial intermediaries, and development partners (MDBs, bilateral development organizations and development finance institutions) in an effective, timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience with the development and implementation of social strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Experience in working with civil society organizations, nongovernmental organizations and/or Indigenous Peoples.
Communication and Team Skills:
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to coach/mentor junior staff.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.
ALL CURRENT VACANCIES
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 24:00 GMT+8 on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.