Senior Scala/Java Developer – Data Distribution
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 21 Sep 18 2018-09-21
See job description for details
The Securities Reference Data platform is used by over 800 applications, providing real-time instrument data across Morgan Stanley including to trading, middle office and settlement functions. We scale to support millions of financial products, and ingest millions of records each day from Reuters, Bloomberg, direct Exchange feeds and other external sources.
The group is looking for an experienced Java and Scala server side developer to join our London team. The successful candidate will work on projects that develop and deploy reference data services to underpin risk and trading. They will also assume ownership for one of these services, coordinating a small team to distribute data via a Scala based object store, serving a wide range of listed and OTC clients.
Responsibilities for the role will entail agile requirements gathering, system analysis and design, Java and Scala server side development, relational database and object store development, development with caching technologies, comprehensive testing as well as involvement in all aspects of the SDLC process.
We are looking for talented and motivated individuals with relevant experience in industry.
The successful candidate should have a strong understanding of object oriented design and implementation methodologies, working experience with Spring, SQL, API management and at least one distributed caching technology, plus strong communication skills as there will be frequent interaction with technology and operations colleagues across the firm. The candidate must be able to run independently and as part of a team on system analysis, architecture improvement, testing and stakeholder management. Desired experience that would be considered an advantage but not essential include data modelling, NoSQL experience and proficiency in deploying large data storage and distribution platforms.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Application development experience of robust, large-scale, real-time systems
- Strong experience of providing APIs or services
- Strong Java and Scala development experience preferably using the Spring framework.
- Experience in architecting distributed systems
- Strong fundamentals in algorithm, data structure, and concurrent processing
- Strong understanding of software performance
- Strong experience of JUnit and regression testing
- Experience with caching technologies
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience with continuous delivery
- Unix/Linux skills
- Messaging Experience with two or more of MQ/Kafka/JSON/XML/Protocol Buffers/Avro
- Strong experience with SQL programming and relational databases
- Highly proficient written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Experience engaging with business users and capturing requirements
- Experience with one of MongoDB, Marklogic, ElasticSearch or HBase
- Experience with rules engines
- Experience deploying large data storage and distribution platforms
- Finance Experience: An understanding of product data
- Data modelling and governance
- BDD testing methodology
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-RJ1