Senior SQL Server DBA / Developer, responsible for the day to day support, administration and engineering within the SQL Server environment.
Purpose of role
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior SQL SERVER DBA - Engineer with strong database administration and engineering skills to join a team of other highly skilled DBAs responsible for managing the SQL Server and Azure SQL database estate. You will be responsible for the day to day support and administration of the full SQL Server technology stack including engineering and all SQL Server database related projects. The role involves working closely with other Infrastructure teams as well as developers and end users.
You will be an excellent DBA with exposure to DevOps aligned methods of automation, with exposure to the latest Open-Source toolsets; Terraform, Grafana and Ansible. As well as administering complex database infrastructure, you will also advise developers on SQL query optimization and help to shape the company's ongoing DevOps and cloud strategy.
This role also offers the opportunity to work with other database platforms other than SQL Server like PostgreSQL, InfluxDB and MongoDB.
The specific responsibilities of the role include:
- Administering and managing the SQL Server Database estate.
- Assist with day to day management of the database architecture covering live and non-live environments.
- Proficient in database performance analysis and tuning.
- Developing 'best practice' standards within the DBA team and working with development teams to ensure these standards are adhered to.
- Show a willingness to learn about latest technologies in the database space.
- Capacity planning of the Physical and virtual Database server estate.
- Ensuring high availability of the database Infrastructure to minimise the duration and impact of any outages.
- Maintaining a consistently high level of service delivery for incidents, requests, and changes.
- Providing database support and advice to other Infrastructure teams as well as developers and end users.
- Maintain database security standards across the SQL Server database estate.
- Working with peers in the other technology teams to find the best solutions for Man Group.
- Participate in on-call support rota.
- Willingness and ability to innovate.
- Good communication skills with end users and fellow IT staff members.
- Strong technical knowledge of SQL Server 2012 to 2019
- Highly proficient scripting skills in (T-SQL, PowerShell)
- In-depth SQL Always On \ Clustering experience
- Working knowledge of continuous Integration or Configuration Management tools (e.g. Jenkins, Terraform, Octopus)
- Proven ability to automate builds and repetitive tasks
- Experience and ability to demonstrate performance diagnosis and tuning techniques in the whole working stack; Database internals, OS, Storage and SQL Server's Query Processor Fundamentals
- Experience using Git for maintaining code and scripts
- Flexibility to broaden and develop skills in any area as required.
- The ability to prioritise projects and tasks.
- Expertise in design and administration of SQL Server SSIS, SSRS and SSAS infrastructure
- Experience in managing and migrating large volumes of data. Compression, partitioning and ETL
- SQL Server database administration and engineering commercial experience.
- Administration of alternative Open source RDBMS technologies such as MongoDB, InfluxDB and PostgreSQL.
- Experience of Cloud technology - AWS or Azure including configuration and migration of databases from on premises to cloud.
- Development and interpretation of systematic performance monitoring and metrics
- Broad technical understanding of Windows, Networks, Storage, VMWare
- Docker containerisation
- Experience of working in an Agile/SCRUM environment
- Experience of Python scripting
- A desire to learn and understand more about the Business environment in which you work.