Senior Python Developer
This is primarily a software development role in the Data Lake consumption team, which is responsible for developing solutions for data scientists and engineers to access data from the lake. The main interface for accessing data is a Python SDK but other interfaces will have to be built, including a Spark SDK, a SQL interface as well as Excel bindings. All the access interfaces are powered by an API component which is responsible for retrieving and processing data on the fly.
Some of the work might involve other components which are part of the wider system, including other data lake microservices as well as an event bus and an API gateway. Responsibilities
Required Knowledge / Technologies
- Develop and maintain APIs and SDKs, primarily in Python and Java.
- Work closely with data scientists and data engineers within IHS Markit and add functionality to the SDKs based on their requirements.
- Work alongside the business analysts and product owners to deliver new functionality, focusing on quality of solutions
- Work alongside QA analysts to ensure business features are thoroughly tested
- Enhance the current solution by finding problems and suggesting enhancements
- Good solid knowledge of either Python or Java. Assuming a candidate is not strong with both, a willingness to learn either Python or Java is essential.
- For candidates with prior Python knowledge, experience with Flask and SQLAlchemy.
- For candidates with prior Java knowledge, experience with a Java web framework, e.g. Play or spring boot.
- Throughout understanding of REST and good API design.
- SQL and relational databases
- AWS (specifically S3 and IAM)
- Elastic Search
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Big data formats like Parquet and Arrow
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace. In addition, in the United States, we perform pre-employment drug testing and are required as a federal contractor to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.