Senior Private Assets Tax Manager
Who we're looking for
A Senior Tax Manager, specialising in Private Assets, to be part of the London Group Tax team. The main focus of this role will be private assets strategies focusing on UK real estate.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
The Group Tax department is a team of 27 professionals who together support the Schroders global business in all aspects of taxation. Based in the UK, but with team members in the US, Singapore and continental Europe, the department is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the group tax strategy, management of tax risks, and ensuring compliance with all tax filing, reporting and payment obligations, for the group and all of its managed funds.
What you'll do
This is one of two new tax roles in in the rapidly growing Schroders Capital business, which provides a broad range of private asset investment opportunities to clients around the world. With over $65 billion of assets under management, investment strategies include real estate, private equity, secondaries, venture capital, infrastructure, securitised products and asset-based finance, insurance-linked securities and impact investing.
You will work within an expanding team of tax professionals dedicated to the Private Assets business, along with VAT and transfer pricing specialists from the wider tax team. Support given by the team includes:
• Fund structuring, including instruction of and liaison with advisors and review of their advice, to ensure the fund structure meets its investment objectives, is suitable for the intended clients, and is in line with the Group tax strategy;
• Development of tax efficient structures for co-investment and carried interest, both for the group and the individual carry recipients;
• Monitoring and assessment on the impact of new legislation or developments in practice;
• Working alongside fund managers based in [the UK, Europe, US, Asia-Pac] to assist with performing or coordinating due diligence and structuring advice in respect of potential investments, and the consequences of proposed business transactions;
• Designing and overseeing tax processes such as testing investor eligibility, or reporting and withholding obligations;
• Overseeing delivery of tax reporting information to investors compliant with specific country requirements;
• Oversight of tax compliance for fund vehicles;
• Supplying, recommending on and reviewing tax-related wording and disclosures in fund documents and other public information;
• Working alongside the business with investors and JV partners to understand and address their tax requirements, including negotiating tax related matters in investor side letters and then ensuring these are implemented;
• Reviewing and recommending actions to ensure fund structures remain tax efficient, including obtaining tax health check reports from the fund's tax advisers;
• Issue management and resolution, including tax authority audit support, across the range of applicable taxes;
• Ad hoc advice and assistance on tax matters affecting the business and its clients.
It is not expected that the you will have prior exhaustive knowledge of all of the areas detailed above. Support will be available within the tax team and via external advisers for researching points of particular difficulty and developing your own skillset. While your main focus will be on supporting funds investing into the UK, the team works dynamically in response to the needs of the business and so a degree of flexibility is expected.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• ACA, CTA or other relevant tax qualification with demonstrable experience.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Experience of working in a fund management environment or advising financial services clients an advantage.
• Familiarity with typical private fund structures would be an advantage.
• Familiarity with the tax treatment of real estate investments in the UK would be an advantage
What you'll be like
You will be able to demonstrate:
• Energy and enthusiasm with proven ability to pick up new concepts quickly.
• Attention to detail.
• Strong communication and written skills.
• Organisational and time management skills.
• Diligence and commitment.
• That you are a team player.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your background, race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.