The Senior IT project Manager is responsible for overseeing the delivery of software solutions. In addition to ensuring the day-to-day availability and performance of systems, the incumbent is also responsible for driving the systems development agenda across EMEA, interfacing directly with business management, collating business requirements (business analysis) and maintaining the ongoing book of work and project portfolio.
This team supports the banks business functions by maintaining and delivering change across the bank’s application estate.
The role is varied, with elements of project management, scrum manager, governance, compliance, support of strategic planning initiatives, vendor management, reporting and business support.
The role involves influencing and challenging key stakeholders both internal and external in order to achieve business goals through technology driven change and provides a key business partner to the Risk and Finance functions.
Responsibilities and Scope
- The incumbent is responsible for both project management and the oversight of a project portfolio that supports change across all areas of the business.
- Responsible for Project Resource Management, Calculating and Managing Project Budgets, Managing External Vendors, Evaluating, appraising & documenting solutions and prioritising backlogs.
- Documents business requirements, understands business objectives, builds IT roadmaps and shapes the technology agenda in these areas.
- Participate in 3-5 medium sized software developments / enhancements per year.
- Initiates and drives through the approval process for small to medium budget items.
- Responsible for managing the banks internal technology providers JRIA and JRIE and Outsourced service providers (e.g. Consultancy Resource) to ensure delivery of production support and project deliverables.
- Responsible for ensuring that business technology requirements are captured, filtered and developed in line with the bank’s strategy.
- Ensure applications where the incumbent is designated Service Owner are maintained and enhanced in line with business expectations.
- Work with the business to confirm Project scope & goals, objectives & business justification, secure resources (people and budget) and justify the project objectives.
- Leading, monitoring and maintaining progress of project plans in PRoPS and / or DevOps to ensure delivery of the key stages and goals within the agreed constraints of time, cost and quality.
- Accountable for creating and maintaining initial and scheduled due diligence on applicable vendor and service provider relationships
- Responsible for defining effective project communication strategies, consulting with key stakeholders and managing appropriate resources.
- Work closely with business teams, and senior leaders to develop a deep understanding of technology requirements and lead the development of strategic solutions.
- Appraise long term service problems and facilitate the definition and implementation of solutions to these problems to provide a continuous improvement to application reliability, performance and quality for users.
- Maintain good knowledge of best market practise
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and developments to influence bank application strategy.
Education & Qualifications:
- At least 10 years’ experience leading complex technology projects in the banking / financial services industry
- Ideally at least 10 years’ experience within a project management role operating in the banking / financial services industry
- PRINCE2 / PMI or Agile qualification, or equivalent experience managing IT projects.
- Significant hands-on Risk and Issue Mitigation experience.
- Strong I.T. configuration and development experience and implementation in a formal SDLC environment.
- Substantial experience of Enterprise Cloud Applications, including Operational Risk & Resilience and Procurement applications
- Substantial experience of Management Reporting, Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence approaches and Technologies
- Good working knowledge of market environments and best practices in Corporate Application domains for international Banking and Financial Services.
- Ability to build good relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Experience managing service providers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information.
- Able to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Good analytical skills and can think logically
- Good negotiation skills
- Able to understand complex technical issues and summarise for senior management.
- Ability to remain calm in high pressure scenarios.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, service orientation, organisational awareness & empathy
- Combining broad business knowledge with in-depth technical skills in order to understand the nature of issues and resolve these satisfactorily.
- The role has to balance competing organisational resource priorities to maintain daily operations whilst driving sustainable change agenda.
- The role requires collaborative skills to work in parallel with different IT & Business teams to deliver cross system solutions to meet business requirements.
- The role is required to ensure projects are delivered to pre-agreed tolerances for time, quality, resource and money.
- The role is required to balance project scope creep and actively manage demanding stakeholders to deliver the best project outcomes possible (where necessary organising projects into prioritised phased deliveries)