Senior Director, Head of Regulatory Law
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 21 Apr 19
Senior Director, Head of Regulatory Law
CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. We're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
To learn more about what a career at CME Group can offer you, visit us at www.wherefuturesaremade.com .
The Senior Director is the primary provider of regulatory advice and support to the CME Core non-Nex EMEA based businesses and activities ('CME Core') and coordinates with the Head of Regulation (Nex) and Head of Legal (APAC) to ensure a consistent approach to regulatory issues across those regions.
This position is the lead regulatory expert and coordinates and oversees all regulatory advice provided to the CME Core businesses. The role also coordinates and liaises with the Head of Legal (APAC) and the Head of Regulation (Nex) to ensure a consistent approach to regulatory issues across the regions, businesses and activities. The role also supports Compliance, Government Relations and strategy and business development activities in APAC (working with the Head of Legal APAC) to ensure those activities receive coordinated and consistent support from the International and wider Legal and regulatory teams. The role has day to day responsibility and oversight of the Senior Attorney and Staff Attorney.
The role works with the sr. management of the CME Core businesses and activities to understand the commercial, operational and regulatory aspects of these businesses and activities and ensure they are provided with practical, commercial and (where relevant) proactive regulatory support to ensure the safe and smooth running of those businesses and to support their future growth and integration.
The role acts as the main liaison with the Managing Director and Associate General Counsel, International (MD International Legal), the Head of Legal APAC and Head of Regulation (Nex) and (where applicable) the wider Legal and related teams (including Compliance) to ensure a consistent Group-wide approach to regulatory issues and regulatory risk.
The role manages a team of 2 regulatory experts who are dedicated to supporting the CME Core businesses and activities and will work with the MD International Legal and wider International Legal team to build relations, collaboration and cohesion across the wider International Legal team and Group to support the Group-wide integration efforts with the aim of creating an efficient and effective team with dedicated expertise in relevant areas (including specific regulatory expertise, as well as expertise in transactions and Group positioning and approach).
- Ensure CME Core businesses and activities in EMEA comply with applicable regulation and understand and educate the wider group on the impact of applicable regulation on their activities and customers;
- Understand legal and technical arrangements and new regulations involved throughout the relevant businesses and activities and work with MD Legal International and others to make decisions re the regulatory framework for the CME Core businesses;
- Support (in coordination with wider International Legal, Compliance and related teams) interaction with FCA/AFM/applicable regulators or authorities on regulatory compliance and policy issues relevant to the CME Core businesses and activities;
- Be the primary liaison with the Group Strategy and Business Development teams to ensure appropriate and consistent support across EMEA and work closely with the Head of Legal APAC and wider Legal team in relation to such support;
- Manage and supervise the provision of regulatory support for global marketing activities of the Group;
- Liaise with and support Compliance in relation to the regulatory regimes underlying the CME Core businesses and activities;
- Liaise with Government Relations and the wider International Legal team and others to monitor regulatory reform relating to the CME Core businesses and activities and ensure the business and others in the wider International Legal team are aware of upcoming changes and a consistent approach is adopted;
- Coordinate with the International Legal and Regulatory teams to ensure consistent approach to international permissions and messaging to relevant regulators.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Education level: Degree/professional qualification as a lawyer/legal adviser.
- Specific Experience: Substantial experience of UK and other key jurisdictions financial services regulation and the CME Core businesses/markets.
- Specific skills: Senior legal advisor able to provide full support for relevant regulated businesses and activities.
- Certifications: Professional legal qualification(s).
- Licenses: As above.