Senior C++ Engineer - Communication Channels
The Communication Channels team builds products used by all Bloomberg users for real-time communication such as exchanging quotes, trade ideas, news and other financial information. Our email (MSG) and instant message (IB) products deliver more than a billion messages per day, and have a broad user-base, comprising of asset managers, brokers, traders, financial analysts and desks across all asset classes. Our users rely on these products because of their real-time performance, massive scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data and applications on the Bloomberg Terminal, and, most importantly, singular access to the Bloomberg network of 350,000 financial professionals.
In London, we own MSG Internet and File Store systems. Both are large-scale, high-throughput, distributed systems with strict requirements for their uptime. We are looking for an engineer to join our team to help us improve these systems!
The Internet email system handles tens of millions of emails per day. The inbound services provide converting SMTP MIME e-mails into Bloomberg MSG, detecting malicious e-mails containing viruses, filtering of spams. The outbound services convert Bloomberg MSG to SMTP MIME e-mails ensuring layout and formatting follow standards and are displayed appropriately by all popular e-mail clients. File store is a large-scale, distributed, low-latency and high-throughput file storage system that provides storing file as a service. It is used by all community products: MSG, IB and NOTE with billions of files. You'll need to have:
- Programming experience in C++ and Python designing distributed systems
- Experience in all phases of the software development life cycle
- A keen interest in staying on top of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
- Strong enthusiasm for code quality, and desire to build long-standing and stable systems
- Experience working with stakeholders to set expectations, compromise, and deliver great results incrementally in an Agile fashion We'd love for you to have:
- Familiarity with Internet email technology
- Experience taking the initiative to collaborate across multiple teams
- Experience with building scalable distributed systems and managing deployment risk What's in it for you:
Bloomberg's Communication Channels develops the most widely used products on the Bloomberg terminal. As an engineer, you will have an opportunity to build solutions to serve very large amount data within rigid throughput and latency requirement. If this sounds like you, please apply! Interview process:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.
And do check out our blog, TechAtBloomberg.com/ to learn more.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.