Who we're looking for
We're looking for an experienced Scrum Master who will enjoy focusing teams and team members on outcomes and effectiveness over output and efficiency, and on displaying agility rather than "doing Agile".
We're offering an opportunity to work with multiple teams at different levels of engagement. In addition to spending time as a team's dedicated Scrum Master, you'll also be teaching and coaching Developers in other scrum teams who are performing elements of the Scrum Master role in their own teams.
Reporting to the central Release Train Engineer, rather than any individual team lead, you'll be more focussed on the opportunities of the department at a systems thinking level and will guide multiple teams, each with their own remits, towards working effectively together to achieve wider, more strategic goals.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
Technology at Schroders
There's a huge amount of change going on at Schroders. Technology's shaping our business more and more, so there are many opportunities waiting to be grabbed. And because we're a big financial player, we can put hefty backing behind good ideas.
We're a serious business - we have enormous responsibilities to our clients and shareholders. But just because we're suited and booted, that doesn't make us stuffy; our tech teams are friendlier and more informal than you might expect.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
The Digital, Distribution and Marketing Technology group creates and supports the applications used by our Sales, Client Servicing and Marketing teams.
Innovation and responsiveness to change are especially important to us, as is the ability to demonstrate the value of our work with reliable telemetry. Our environment is one in which we are always seeking to increase collaboration between our people, while also giving our teams ownership over their elements of contribution to overall value. We champion diversity and inclusion and already benefit from an increasing range of different perspectives.
What you'll do
• Facilitate regular scrum events
• Coach teams to higher maturity levels of scrum and other agile practices
• Resolve impediments at a team and department level
• Foster an environment in which team members have the psychological safety to speak openly and honestly with each other, and to challenge each other productively
• Support Product Owners in grooming and maintaining their backlogs at a team and scaled (SAFe) portfolio level
• Support the efficient flow of work through scrum teams by applying lean thinking and continuous improvement ('kaizen') techniques
• Assist teams in implementing and iterating improvements to their ways of working, from both a technical and interpersonal perspective
• Teach Scrum Master competencies to Developers who are performing elements of the Scrum Master role for their respective teams
• Provide support to the Release Train Engineer in facilitating scaled agile events (such as System Demos and PI Planning)
• Contribute to the agile community within our Global Technology organisation as a whole through discussion, exposure to, and engagement with other teams and team members
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Certified Scrum Master (PSM level II or equivalent), or equivalent experience in a Scrum Master role
• Working knowledge of agile and related practices complementary to scrum, including Kanban flow, Lean Six Sigma, OKRs and frameworks for running agile at scale (SAFe preferred)
• Experience with teams adopting technical enablers of agility, particularly Dev Ops practices and automated testing approaches
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Exposure to the asset management sector
• Experience working with tech teams supporting digital, distribution or marketing functions
• Prior experience as a developer in a scrum team
• Computer Science or related science / maths degree
What you'll be like
• A lifelong learner, with an expanding range of up-to-date knowledge gleaned from books, articles, personal experience and meet-ups
• A natural communicator, able to facilitate and present to large groups, as well as to inclusively draw out and highlight contributions from individuals in smaller group settings
• Prepared to challenge the status quo to find better ways to do things
• Pragmatic, especially in group decision-making settings
• Displaying a positive attitude tied with a never-ending desire to keep improving - highlighting and celebrating successes of all sizes and using them as motivation for further success in the future
• Collaborative by default, preferring to work in pairs or groups over individual work
• Friendly - people the world over will like working with you, and they're never afraid to ask you for help
• Positive under pressure and happy to take the lead in challenging times
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.