The Scrum Master is an essential member of a cross-functional team which focuses on delivering value to the customer while striving for continuous improvement. The Scrum Master acts as the servant leader and coach for one or more delivery teams within the organization and is critical to team success. An effective Scrum Master promotes attributes of a high functioning dedicated agile team, include perpetuating team dynamics of support and value driven delivery, protecting the teams from outside interference, removing impediments, facilitating Scrum rituals, driving continuous improvement and promoting healthy Agile practices within the teams and across the organization. As part of a larger community of agile practitioners, he/she is an advocate of Agile practices both within the team and the organization. Attributes of a Highly Successful Candidate:
- Agile Mindset: Display a solid understanding of agile values and principles and different frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, Lean, etc.) that help achieve agility. Understand when to apply specific practices to solve specific problems identified in the team.
- Servant Leader: Empathetic and effective leader that builds trust and focuses on the needs of the team. Exhibit the servant-as-leader behaviors of coaching, service to the team, and empowerment of the team to come up with solutions to their problems and develop innovative ideas.
- Assertive: Ensures Agile concepts and principles are followed while allowing maximum flexibility based on team needs that drive delivery of business value. Strong enough to act as objective voice of reason and authority, make the tough calls as part of a collaborative process with product management, development and leadership
- Facilitative: Effective listener, relies on observation and skills tool-kit to bring team members together, stimulate collaborative behaviors and discussion, drive successful conflict resolution and empower the team to self-organize.
- Intuitive & Insightful: Ability to recognize issues and risks within the team or with outside teams, elevate as needed, and bring to resolution. Able to assess the team's agile maturity and coaches to higher levels of maturity at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Continuous Improvement Mindset: Challenges the team and greater organization to reflect and improve; as an individual motivated to learn new tools and techniques to accomplish this
- Coach: Demonstrate an ability to listen to what's happening in the room with the team that goes deeper than what is said. Uses silence to create space for people to think and to encourage ideas to come forth rather than filling the space with a solution or another question. Use powerful questions to help the team learn and grow.
- Ensure Agile teams are practicing the core agile principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability, and visibility
- Shields team from interference and removes impediments
- Helps the team become self-managed and cross-functional
- Fosters a team environment that encourages team members to both seek help from within the team and lean-in to help the team achieve sprint goals
- Partner with Product Owner to manage backlog
- Facilitates scrum/agile events
- Work with team to identify capacity to ensure they can meet the sprint objectives
- Participate in discussions related to trade-offs to bring in new work
- Effectively use information radiators that help the team see information it needs to identify areas where they need to learn and grow and display process toward desired outcomes
- Active participation in the maturation process of the Agile model and methodologies within the organization
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- At least 5-7 years' experience working in a software development organization, preferably in an agile environment
- Minimum 2-3 years' experience supporting a team as a Scrum Master.
- Experience working in an iterative Development environment, utilizing Scrum practices.
- Experience with Scrum, Lean and/or XP inspired practices required
- Familiarity with one or more Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, Kanban
- Scrum Master Certification preferred
- Exceptional communication/interpersonal skills and organizational skills
- Willingness to provide direct and honest feedback to team members
- Excellent facilitation and mentoring skills
- Ability to effectively interact with all layers of the organization
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- High level of motivation