SRE Technical Program Manager
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is an engineering discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. At Goldman Sachs, SRE is responsible for the availability and reliability of our firm's most critical platform services, and ensures they meet the requirements of our internal and external users. As a Technical Program Manager (TPM) within SRE, you will need to anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected.
Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role. Responsibilities include working with GS Engineering teams to define strategy, requirements and SRE's product offering and roadmap; identifying and securing commitment from teams across the company for new initiatives; driving consensus on the technical approach, setting timelines, and leading cross-functional development teams from design through delivery. You'll need to be a strong project manager with technical and business acumen as well as an excellent communicator -- whether working with developers or providing updates to business leadership. The ideal candidate is an influential technical leader with a knack for getting things done, who is able separate what's important from what's urgent and find the best path forward from among multiple scenarios, earn the trust of stakeholders, and improve the efficiency of our cross-functional organization. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Manage technology programs, defining milestones and success criteria, resource allocation and successful on-time delivery.
- Exercise technical judgment in working with large, cross-functional teams.
- Work with the engineering leads to define the product strategy and roadmap(s) for the SRE organization, and work with client stakeholder groups on managing demand for features relative to planned product growth.
- Guide products from conception through launch, growth and maturity by connecting the technical and business worlds to meet our customers at their needs.
- Deliver tools and processes to improve engineering productivity.
- Communicate schedules, priorities, and status to all levels in the company
- Lead regular project status meetings while keeping all stakeholders aware of project and delivery status, including facilitating product review meetings and end-user forums. Manage exceptions and communicate issues and risks to the rest of the organization.
- Interact with SRE partners and client technical stakeholders in order to translate complex requirements into recommendations for appropriate solution with reliability at the core
- Create programs and template solutions to achieve scalable and measurable impact across the SRE and client systems
- Understand customer needs and help to shape SREs long-term product strategy
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding and / or systems engineering
- 5+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a technology oriented organization
- Demonstrated passion for understanding ambiguous, complex problems and driving high-quality, innovative, and robust technical solutions
- Exceptional stakeholder management and executive presentation skills
- Experience in successful delivery of complex, large-scale products and/or projects involving software development and infrastructure
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Experience or certification in agile project delivery methodology
- Experience with distributed systems design, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Hands-on experience with debugging and optimizing code, as well as automation
- Strong interpersonal skills, drive, and ownership
- Coding beyond simple scripts
- Solving novel problems from first principles
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.